SOLVED Monitor Fade/Burn-In/

Reaction score
I have a Dell 27" All-In-One XPS 7760 AIO which has been an EXCELLENT desktop pc all these years. It is, however, 6 years old now and since I am now retired, I pretty much live on this desktop pc. Lately I have noticed the 27" monitor starting to, how shall I say, become more and more transparent or see-thru when I have a page up behind the current page I am looking at. If I leave the pc for 20 minutes or so and then I move the cursor, the 'image' of the cursor is like burned in where it was left. That fades after a minute or so, but I have noticed this happening more and more. So, my question is, is this possibly the monitor itself OR something to do with the graphics card inside this all-in-one? Keeping in mind that this pc is now 6 years old and gets a lot of use.

Reaction score
Image retention (that is what it is called) has always been a monitor issue so far. The only way to know for sure, is to connect a different monitor (maybe borrow one from a friend for a short time). I have dealt with that problem for many years.

Reaction score
Image retention (that is what it is called) has always been a monitor issue so far. The only way to know for sure, is to connect a different monitor (maybe borrow one from a friend for a short time). I have dealt with that problem for many years.
I could try that. I have an extra monitor laying around from a past/previous desktop pc. I would have to check on the connection types of that extra monitor AND this 27" AIO to see if I can connect them. I don't even remember what ports there are on this one. I haven't flipped it over in years now (all main ports are on the back of this 27" AIO. It's a battle, actually, to get to these ports what with this pc weighing around 40 LBS and the stand in the way. I don't know why Dell designed it this way with the connection ports so hard to get to).

At any rate, it's "image retention". I never thought of that, but it certainly makes sense.

Let me ask you this ... If I connect another monitor and I don't experience "image retention" on that second monitor, what would that mean for my 6-year-old Dell 27" 7760 AIO? The monitor part of the AIO is on its way out OR a graphics card wearing out?

Many thanks for your help. It is appreciated!

Reaction score
If the second monitor does not show image retention, you primary is, as you said, on the way out. I have never seen a graphic card causing this issue, so I highly doubt, it could be the graphic card.

Reaction score
Here's a thought I had ... could I just hook up; HDMI OUT of the Dell 27" AIO to HDMI IN of my (new) Samsung smart TV?? They are literally 4 feet from each other? Would that basically replicate the DELL 27" AIO to an extra/second PC monitor??

I have, sort of, unofficially that is, pretty much concluded that odds are it is the monitor on its way out. BUT, if I COULD connect this Dell 27" AIO via HDMI to my new Samsung smart TV, that would be really quick and easy to do. I am not 100% sure that it is the same as connecting to another actual PC monitor?

For the record, I have already bought a new Dell 27" AIO (Windows 11 of course) that is being delivered today Thursday 03-30-23. But I would continue using my current Dell 27" AIO until she finally fades away. I have no way of knowing if it will last another week OR another year. But being that I do so much on my desktop PC's, I would already have a brand-new back-up ready to go once this one fades away for good.

Again, thanks for your help here. It is appreciated as is the Forum here in general. I'm not on here often because (a) I'm not a pc expert/repair guy and (b) because for the most part, everything always (fortunately) works for me as it should and it's not often I have to seek out PC help.

Reaction score
You can hook up your smart tv to your computer, I do not see any problems with that. If you do not see the image retention and I do not think that you will, it will definitely confirm your and my suspicion that you monitor is on the brink.

Reaction score
Okay, I have concluded, as you thought quite possible, that the screen/monitor of my 6-year-old Dell 27" AIO is indeed on its way out. It's been, not only one of the better pc's I've owned but in fact the BEST pc I have owned, desktop or laptop. But it does get a LOT of use and has since day one. Probably shouldn't be much of a surprise if it is on its way out.

I have already bought a new 27" AIO to replace this one however I will continue using my current Dell 27" AIO until she no longer wants to work. Who knows how long that will be.

But I do appreciate your help and advice very much and since I have concluded that she is on her way out due to image retention, I will mark this thread as "Solved".

Many thanks for your help!

Ask a Question