SOLVED Monitor problems

Reaction score
I have a Dell Tower and a Samsung Monitor
I have my power settings on
Screen Turn Off 1 Min
Sleep 5 Min

Lately my Monitor refuses to turn off and I have tried a few things suggested.
I now find that I cannot get a Screen Saver to run either.

Any advice please?

Reaction score
Hi Babs3,

what are your power settings set to?. See pic below.

What version of win 10 do you have?. :)

1593353901304.png

Reaction score
I would try setting them all to "Never" and then switch what you want back on, one after the other, don't set them all at once and leave each setting for a while and see how you go with that?. :)

Reaction score
Thanks Wolfie, tried that but nothing changed, any other thoughts?

Reaction score
Hi Babs3,

did you recently upgrade to Win 10 ver 2004 and did the problem start just after the upgrade?, that may be the cause, the upgrade I mean?. :)

Reaction score
That upgrade happened on the 23rd June and it was happening before then. In fact I've had this problem for at least a couple of months.

Reaction score
I have no idea other than to check in Settings > Updates & Security > Troubleshoot and check if there is a problem with "Power"?. :)

1593586900058.png

Reaction score
I tried that, no success unfortunately. If only the screen saver would work then I could leave the PC on but don't like to leave the static screen on for too long. Thanks Wolfie anyway for your suggestions.

Reaction score
Hi Babs3,

one last suggestion as you said you don't like to leave your screen on, I actually press the power switch on my monitor if I have something running that will take some time and I need to leave the computer running, not the ideal solution but at least it is an option for you to consider?. :cool:

Reaction score
Turn off screen. Good idea thanks.
Another thought I had, perhaps there's a programme running that's stopping the screens from dimming. Not sure how to go about solving that though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Another thought. I have a Dell tower but a Samsung Monitor. I keep getting told to update my BIOS by Dell but have not done so. I"m pretty sure this has been happening a lot longer than the monitor problem, so don't think it's related.

Reaction score
perhaps there's a programme running that's stopping the screens from dimming
Hi Babs3,

that is quite possible?, what it actually is or could be???????.

The Dell warning about BIOS should not be ignored as it may provide you with security updates, check the Dell website on how to go about updating your computers BIOS!. :)

Reaction score
Put all the sleep settings to Never. One by one.
Then change all of the 4 settings one after the other.
Once the settings are changed and the changes are reversed, you will automatically not face this issue.

Reaction score
I only have two settings, don't have the on Battery settings, that's why I was confused. :confused: Anyway I tried that and it didn't fix the problem.
I have still not updated the BIOS because not being very technically minded I'm concerned I might not do it properly and have more problems. Could this actually be causing the monitor not to go to sleep?

Reaction score
Could this actually be causing the monitor not to go to sleep?
Hi Babs3,

I wouldn't think so, that said, you never know how it might influence the computer.

There have also been a lot of complaints about sleep/hibernation mode which also raises the question as to whether or not the actual version of Win 10 isn't itself the problem?. :eek:

Simple solution is to switch off your computer when not in use, that is what I do!. :)

Another thought is to check the main website of the Dell help pages. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Wolfie. I haven't checked Dell's website because although PC is of that make the Monitor is a Samsung. So it's still nagging me although as you say I can just turn off the monitor.

I had a look at Events log and saw warnings for DCOM config warning. It states something along the lines of amd64.......exe and title PowerConservation Class.....is not recorded.....Do you wish to record it?

Could that be pointing to something or maybe just relating to the BIOS still not being updated?

Ask a Question