Another laptop as second monitor question

Reaction score
In a previous post I discussed a problem that turned out to be interference with a neighbor's system. That was back in October 2019.

I have been successfully using this set up since then. Until now.

Now after a rather short period of time, ( it varies), the link between my desktop and laptop just drops out.
I quickly set the link back up again and continue but of course this is a pita when I am trying to get some work done.

The two units are sitting next to each other.

There have been updates to the op systems on both computers. I have had no other problems with either of them.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for reading
jrj

Regedit32

Reaction score
Any chance after the OP updates, the settings for power management has changed on one or both computers, and as a result a hardware device is being turned off thus affecting your connection?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,
I checked that after reading the comment, and no changes. When the connection breaks, both computers run at their normal modes. I can then re-initiate the connection and it again stays connected for anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes.

Reaction score
Is this a wired or wireless, wired then clean the contacts, if wireless then check and change channels.
you also might check modem settings and see if it is set for a delay to save power.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
Sorry for the long delay. I get called away at times and can't respond.
This is a wireless setup. I have tried different channels but no results.
I checked the power settings (which is quite a list). Nothing appears to be out of the ordinary.
As I mentioned before, both computers run normally after they disconnect from each other.

Reaction score
See if this could possibly help.
Open the Control Panel - device manager.
Scroll down and click your Network Adapters and then right click the wireless Adapter(s) and select properties.
Select the Power Management tab and make sure you have turned OFF the item "Allow the computer..etc

Reaction score
@davehc - Sorry to report that did not help.
I have noticed that when one computer searches for the other computer, it displays, occasionally, one of the neighbor's units along with mine. I am wondering if that might be interfering and causing the dropouts.

Reaction score
Are you seeing the neighbor's computer or just the Wireless Router? If it's the Router is it shown as Secured? I have anywhere from 5 to 12 showing on the list in my Notebooks available for connecting but being Secured only mine works as I have the password/passphrase. One does a indicate an open Guest connection but it is too far away/weak signal.

Ask a Question