SOLVED Yet another Windows 10 '0xc0000225' error...

Reaction score
...hello, all...just joined with a sick laptop...as a former electronics debug/repair person, I understand how important it is to give as much info on a problem as possible, so forgive the length...
...computer in question is a Toshiba Satellite L355-S7812 (I know, it's something like 12 years old, but it was running Win 10 just fine until recently)...it was given to me, and the original hard drive was pooched (apparently this model was notorious for blowing hard drives), and none of the original Toshiba recovery discs came with it...it was originally a Vista system, but when I replaced the HD (at least it's a SATA drive! ...original was 100 GB IIRC; I replaced it with 1 TB), I put Win 7 on it, then had to find as many of the original Toshiba drivers, etc. as I still could on their site...and got it working...then when Win 10 was rolled out, I upgraded and all has been well until recently...now it has developed a habit of either spontaneously shutting down and rebooting, or locking up, during startup...and upon subsequent restart it will show 'Preparing Automatic Repair ', then goes to the 'BSOD' with the message pointing to 'winload.exe' and that error 0xc0000225...
...NOW...I can run the HDD without issues externally on another computer (so the HDD itself doesn't have internal problems like the one I replaced did)...reading earlier threads on this subject, I found out about several command prompt commands I can run ('bootrec /scanos', etc.) to fix the boot record which may have gotten corrupted...so, can I run those from my desktop system with that HDD connected externally?...

Regedit32

Reaction score
Reaction score
...thank you for responding...I tried hooking up the HDD externally, got into Command Prompt and tried it...it showed up as L: and I had no trouble accessing it...however, apparently the 'bootrec' commands are found only on the installation or recovery media/ISO because the computer didn't recognize 'bootrec' at all from its resident Win 10...so apparently these repairs have to be done on the affected computer...and I can't get the laptop to stay running long enough to do anything...as this point it looks like a hardware issue (a chip has become thermally intermittent and crashes the system when it heats up, most likely, and it's not a RAM issue as I tried removing one stick at a time and seeing if it ran any better; it didn't), which for all intents and purposes means time for a new laptop ...I'm saving the HDD; once I've taken everything important off it, I'll just wipe it and either use it as an external drive (I have a case to mount it into) or as a secondary drive (if I should acquire a laptop that can take a second HDD, like my HP dv8135 did...it had an AMD Turion 64 with two 100 GB hard drives...and a nice 17-inch screen)...anyway, I certainly appreciate your efforts...I'm calling 'problem solved', just not the desired outcome...

Ask a Question