SOLVED Mouse Quit Working

Reaction score
I started to upgrade all my drivers since I downloaded windows 10. Everything was going along fine until I hit the driver on my mouse. Gone the mouse disappeared. There was no way to get it back. So I finally hooked up another mouse and tried to go back and roll back the driver to the other version. Having trouble. Its says it has to be in administration to do so. I don't think it is but I had computer people helping me and no luck. So can this be done. The roll back box won't lite up and it has to be lite to be able to roll back. Any help would be great. Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
First of all.... what mouse are you using that it requires a specific driver.
Generally, you can just go to device manager and expand mice and other pointing devices, select what is ever there, right click it and choose uninstall, tick the box to uninstall drivers also if prompted.
Double check Human Interface Devices also.
Use the View menu to "Show hidden devices" just to make sure that you get rid of all of them.
Reboot and let the automatic device / hardware installation wizard do its' thing.
Then check the manufacturer's website for your specific mouse, model and number to make sure you are downloading and installing the proper driver. Also take note as to the bit version for the driver, 32 or 64 bit depending on your system architecture.

Reaction score
First of all.... what mouse are you using that it requires a specific driver.
Generally, you can just go to device manager and expand mice and other pointing devices, select what is ever there, right click it and choose uninstall, tick the box to uninstall drivers also if prompted.
Double check Human Interface Devices also.
Use the View menu to "Show hidden devices" just to make sure that you get rid of all of them.
Reboot and let the automatic device / hardware installation wizard do its' thing.
Then check the manufacturer's website for your specific mouse, model and number to make sure you are downloading and installing the proper driver. Also take note as to the bit version for the driver, 32 or 64 bit depending on your system architecture.
I

Reaction score
I'm not sure that is does require a specific driver, I was just going into the device manager and downloading all new drivers for windows 10. When i downloaded the one for the mouse I lost my mouse curser. So in device manager you can roll back the driver if you have a problem. So I tried to do that and the rollback section isn't lite so I can't click on it. Supposedly you have to sign in as administrator, which I had trouble doing. But in the mean time I contacted Microsoft windows 10 and I'm not getting the answers. They said I am in administrator all the time. And I am running the older driver version now. So why can't I use my mouse then. My mouse isn't compatible with Windows 10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK.... let me ask, one more time
what mouse are you using
Does it have a manufacturer name, model name, model number?
How is it connected to your computer, USB, wireless, PS2, serial???
For the most part any standard USB wired mouse is going to be "compatible" with Windows 10 and needs no drivers other than those provided natively by the OS. Only those more elaborate multifunction mice might need manufacturer's drivers and only then, just to make all the added button functionality and features work properly, normally left click right click and scroll with just work out of the box.
So remove them from device manager
Reboot your machine and see what happens.

Reaction score
OK.... let me ask, one more time

Does it have a manufacturer name, model name, model number?
How is it connected to your computer, USB, wireless, PS2, serial???
For the most part any standard USB wired mouse is going to be "compatible" with Windows 10 and needs no drivers other than those provided natively by the OS. Only those more elaborate multifunction mice might need manufacturer's drivers and only then, just to make all the added button functionality and features work properly, normally left click right click and scroll with just work out of the box.
So remove them from device manager
Reboot your machine and see what happens.

The mouse is HP which worked fine when I was using windows 7, it is a wired mouse, connected by USB port. Not sure what you want me to delete. I don't know a lot about how to do things but I get buy. I have a mouse hooked up to the front of my tower to a USB port, that is how I am able to use this computer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Disconnect the HP mouse.
Shut down the computer.
Disconnect the other mouse after shut down.
Restart your computer.
When it comes back up simply reconnect the HP mouse again.
Try the front port you were using for the extra mouse.
It may take a minute or two before it is functional again.
IF it works just remove it from the front port and plug it back into where ever it was before.

Reaction score
Disconnect the HP mouse.
Shut down the computer.
Disconnect the other mouse after shut down.
Restart your computer.
When it comes back up simply reconnect the HP mouse again.
Try the front port you were using for the extra mouse.
It may take a minute or two before it is functional again.
IF it works just remove it from the front port and plug it back into where ever it was before.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. It really worked. An imagine I have been on line with Microsoft for 12 hours this week and didn't accomplish anything. One problem down, now I have 2 more to go. If you want to hear them I am willing to post them. I'm assuming I should start a new post for them though.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There are probably plenty of people on the forum that might "want to hear them".
Yes. It is generally a good idea to create a new thread for a different problem, that way the focus of this thread isn't altered.
I'm sure, we'll do what we can to help.

Ask a Question