SOLVED Mouse stopped working with update

Reaction score
I bought a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 that came with Windows 10. I installed all the updates. One of which was a completely new build. Now, my USB mouse has stopped working. It works on other devices. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver and that did not work. Can anyone please tell me how to fix this? Is there any way I can find the previous driver on tge computer? The option to rollback the driver is greyed out. Thanks.

Reaction score
Kst, if you have a laptop, you might have the mouse function turned off. The key for mouse function often shows a pointing finger. Press that key and Fn at the same time.

Failing that, your high-quality budget laptop is designed for Windows 8.1, and they upgraded it to 10. If you go to the Dell website and install the original driver for the mouse, it might work. Laptops are more specific in their driver needs than desktops are.

Whenever a laptop is upgraded to a newer system, it deals with an OS it is not designed for. Sometimes the newest drivers works, and sometimes you have to go back to the old driver.

Reaction score
Kst, if you have a laptop, you might have the mouse function turned off. The key for mouse function often shows a pointing finger. Press that key and Fn at the same time.

Failing that, your high-quality budget laptop is designed for Windows 8.1, and they upgraded it to 10. If you go to the Dell website and install the original driver for the mouse, it might work. Laptops are more specific in their driver needs than desktops are.

Whenever a laptop is upgraded to a newer system, it deals with an OS it is not designed for. Sometimes the newest drivers works, and sometimes you have to go back to the old driver.

Thanks for the reply. Dell doesn't offer any drivers for Windows 10 because the model doesn't support Windows 10. Kind of a catch 22. It seems to work fine except for the mouse.

I should have mentioned that I have three HID mice and none of them worked. They worked before the latest update on Windows 10. I have two devices with Windows 10 and a desktop computer with Windows 7. What is really strange is they won't work on Windows 7 either. I use a wired mouse on the desktop. And Windows 10 will recognize it. But not the wireless ones.

These are also not working on a Surface Pro 3. It certainly can run Windows 10 or should be able to.

These are the very common Logitech mice. I don't see why this should be such a big issue.

I don't know where to look for older drivers. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction for that.

I was also thinking what if I bought a brand new mouse and plugged in the receiver. Would that force Windows 10 to load a driver that would work?

Reaction score
I would suggest going to a computer store and asking for a mouse that is Windows 10 compatible.

You can also go to the Dell website to see if you can re-install the original Windows 8.1 drivers for the mouse. Try http://www.solvusoft.com/en/update/drivers/laptop/dell/inspiron/3000/model-numbers/

If they don't work on Windows 7 either, then they are defective or you have the mouse function turned off. Look for an icon with a pointing finger. Press it and Fn at the same time.

By the way, does the touchpad work well?

Reaction score
I would suggest going to a computer store and asking for a mouse that is Windows 10 compatible.

You can also go to the Dell website to see if you can re-install the original Windows 8.1 drivers for the mouse. Try http://www.solvusoft.com/en/update/drivers/laptop/dell/inspiron/3000/model-numbers/

If they don't work on Windows 7 either, then they are defective or you have the mouse function turned off. Look for an icon with a pointing finger. Press it and Fn at the same time.

By the way, does the touchpad work well?

I live in southern WV. My computer store is Walmart. :)

Thank you for that link. I have some ancient drivers but none are for the mouse. And no function key to turn it on or off. I can use the touchpad fine. I had some issues with Cortana hearing me but that driver did have an update and it worked. I do a lot of work in Excel and the touchpad just isn't ideal for that. At least not with my touchpad skill set.

These mice are pretty old but they did work before the latest update. I really think something was changed during that.

I actually had never tried them on the Windows 7 machine before because I have the antique wired mouse on that.

I really do like Windows 10 but not all the issues I've had to solve upgrading. This isn't the only one I've had to work on.

Reaction score
Vince was on the right track for this one. Had I bought a new mouse, it would have worked. I was sitting there last night thinking about when one of my older aunts calls me and says something like her TV won't turn on. The first thing I ask is "Is it plugged in?" This led me to the many eye dee ten tee errors in my life and how the solution may very well be something really simple. I mentioned I have three of these mice. I thought "What if I got the receivers mixed up?" Well, uh duh. LOL. In my defense, I am usually pretty good about keeping them straight. If I'm not using the mouse, I tape them to the bottom. Anyway, in the future if anyone asks this question then you might want to ask if they have the right receiver for the mouse. :) I apologize for being such a moron.

Ask a Question