Movie Maker

Reaction score
In Windows 10 I have made a movie and burnt it to a DVD but it will not play on my DVD player. Never had a problem with Windows 7. Has anyone solved this problem?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Midge,

Welcome to the forum.

Could you clarify your opening thread post please.
  1. What format did you burn to DVD in? wmp, mp4, something else?
  2. Did you burn directly from Windows Live Movie Maker, or use some other method? If so. what did you use?
  3. When you say it will not play on your DVD player is this player connected to computer, or to a television?

Reaction score
Hi Midge,

Welcome to the forum.

Could you clarify your opening thread post please.
  1. What format did you burn to DVD in? wmp, mp4, something else?
  2. Did you burn directly from Windows Live Movie Maker, or use some other method? If so. what did you use?
  3. When you say it will not play on your DVD player is this player connected to computer, or to a television?
Thank your for your reply. I burnt the movie to a DVD from my hardrive after I had made the movie there was no option on Windows 10 to save directly to DVD as there was in windows 7. The format is wmp. the DVD will play on my laptop but will not play on my DVD player which is connected to our television. Further research shows that I must buy something like Nero to convert the DVD into player compatible. Do you know of a free download that works?
Thanks Midge

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Midge,

You may not need to get extra burning software.

If you open your movie file in Movie Maker, you ought to be able to click File > Save Movie > For Computer and when the dialog opens use the drop arrow to select mpeg format instead.

Most DVD players cope fine with mpeg-2 or mpeg-1 format and if your DVD player is more modern ought to be fine with mpeg-4 also.

Once your movie file is in mpeg format you can then burn that to dvd as you did previously and that ought to work fine on the DVD to TV.

Ask a Question