ms-settings

Reaction score
from - Troubleshoot problems etc
Check for Updates - unavailable
So from there I can't get any response from/to W icon+R - also can't get to Administrator
As follows, nothing happens

W icon - enter ms-settings - okay
"Windows cannot find ms-settings. Make sure you typed the name correctly,and then try again"
blankity/blank!

Then I tried to find Accessories as in All Programmes (W7) to get all those different characters
"Windows cannot find Accessories. Make sure you typed the name correctly,and then try again"
blankity/blank!

Help please, hope this makes sense

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you please.....
Right click the Start Button and choose "Run", and in the run dialog box type
winver
hit enter or click OK.
Should look like this

Capture.JPG

Version 1511 build 10586.218.
Which version to you presently have running?

Again, open the "Run" dialog box and type
service.msc
hit enter or click OK
Scroll down to "Windows Update"
Check and make sure that it is "Running"
IF not the right click it and choose "Start"

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Maurylen,

A little bit confused what you are trying to do so let me know if the following is not what you wanted:
  • Press and hold Winkey and R together to open the Run Dialog window
  • If you simply are trying to get to the Settings window type ms-settings: then click OK,

ms-settings.png

Note: Don't forget that colon

If on the other hand you were trying to access the Update & security from the Settings window:

• Press and hold Winkey and R together to open the Run Dialog window
  • Type ms-settings:windowsupdate then click OK

ms-settings windows update.png

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Trouble -
Version 1511 build 10586.218.
Which version to you presently have running? - that one

service.msc: got a result but not the right one - colon makes a difference -

in the new window

unable to find software to open this file
File Name: service.msc:
What do you want to do? (3 options)
search the web etc
learn more about .msc:format
search through windows

Hi Regedit-colon made a difference but no progress yet
was trying to open the all programmes as in W7 and access the Accessaries

Reaction score
that did the trick, updates running, - but - I would still like to be able to access "Accessories," still get that "Windows cannot find Accessories. Make sure you typed the name correctly,and then try again" - thanks for you patience, I'm sure you'll have the answer somewhere - cheers Maurylen

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Regedit-colon made a difference but no progress yet
was trying to open the all programmes as in W7 and access the Accessaries

Hi Maurylen,

I think I must need some serious sleep as I am still finding it difficult to understand what it is you are doing that leads to the errors you mentioned (i.e. those 3 options on how to open services.msc)

In Windows 7 you had the Start > All Programs > Accessories folder and inside that a System tools folder

I assume though you are doing this in Windows 10, not Windows 7. So is this what you are doing (see image below)?

Start All Apps.png

I mean did you click Start | All apps | scroll to the W's from here tried to open the Services which is located inside Windows Administrative Tools. And is it your attempt to open Services there that triggers that alert on how you want to open it?

Or are you actually opening the Windows Accessories folder there and then when you try to open an application there you get that alert re how do you want to open it? If yes, is it for all applications in that folder or is it one specific application?

Edit: Just realized its because you misspelt services.msc command by omitting an s that generated the alert re how do you want to open things.

But perhaps the image I posted above will show you where Windows Accessories is all the same

Last edited:
Reaction score
"In Windows 7 you had the Start > Accessories folder and inside that a System tools folder" -- yes
attachment 2863 looks like it, how do I get that window? I think I need it to get e.g paint, as well as those lists of odd characters

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-30_17-17-10.png
    upload_2016-4-30_17-17-10.png
    133.9 KB · Views: 601

Regedit32

Reaction score
Only because I am bored: :rolleyes:
  • Open File Explorer
  • Navigate to here: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
  • Right-click on the folder named Windows Accessories | then left-click Create shortcut
A prompt will open telling you its heading to Desktop
  • Go to Desktop and right-click on Windows Accessories - Shortcut | select Rename

For the new name call it Maurylen | then click anywhere away from Shortcut to take focus off

• Now right-click on Maurylen | select Cut
  • Next open File Explorer to this location: C:\Windows\System32
  • Inside the System32 folder press Ctrl + V to paste
  • Close File Explorer and return to Desktop

• Now press Winkey + R to open the Run dialog, or right-click Start and select Run
  • In the Run dialog type: Maurylen (or as this is not case sensitive maurylen) | click OK

Your Windows Accessories folder will open :)

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you just want to open Paint
  • Right-click Start | select Run
  • In the Run dialog type: mspaint.exe then click OK

• Or Click Start | select All apps | Click Windows Accessories | Click Paint

Last edited:
Reaction score
Are you reading these posts correctly, Maurylen? This is the most confusing thread I have encountered, in a while!
Forget about ms-settings.

To repeat post #7
Click the start menu icon - the window at the extreme left of the taskbar.
Click "All Apps"
Scroll down to "Windows Administartive Tools and click . There you will find "services" If you right click, you can "pin to start", which will put it in the start menu icon window. After the right click, select "more". This will give you the option to "Pin to Taskbar"
Next. Again down in the All Apps list, you will find "Windows Accessories" This is immediately above the Administrative Tools.
Open it and scroll to Paint. Similarly, you can right click it, and further on to "more" and choose to pin it to start or Taskbar.

Reaction score
sorry about the delay, what's the time over there? here it's only 1800hrs so we don't do the "hurry" thing - I think I'm getting there now, got the list with paint, character map etc. but the list hasn't got all the extras that were on W7, it's a lot different, but I guess I'll get used to it - sincerely, I want to thank you guys for your patience, must be difficult dealing with non-techy amateurs like me - unfortunately I think I'll be back again with more problems!! - cheers, from New Zealand

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Maurylen,

No need to apologise. We're all learning this new OS.

You'll find nearly all of what used to be in the Windows 7 Accessories folder inside Windows 10's Windows Accessories folder, although some are in the next folder down, Windows Administrative Tools; and others are more easily accessed by Right-clicking Start and viewing its context menu, or Pressing Winkey + X for same result.

It just takes getting a little used to.

As Dave pointed out once you find the features you use on a regular basis you can choose to pin them to start menu, or taskbar, or make a shortcut to your Desktop - whichever takes your fancy.

In case you have not all ready discovered this here's a tip for you to speed up moving around the All apps context menu. Rather than scroll all the way down to the W's, simply click on any of the Alphabet Index letters, A, B, C etcetera near top of list. That will open a pad of A - Z, then just click the Letter you want - W for example - to view the items listed under W -- much quicker than scrolling :)

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Maybe pushing to fast, but, here is an interesting derivation, where you can see everything conceivable that can be run, sitting on your computer. You can browse through and become acquainted with the many functions.
Right click the Start.
select "Run"
Type
shell:appsfolder

A beautiful icon filled windows will appear!

I actually have it as my mouse click menu, but that is another story!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Breathes sigh of relief.....
Was just about to surrender and recommend Classic Shell.

Ask a Question