SOLVED MSN takeover

Reaction score
I got notice that my computer was going to be "updated". I was puzzled because I had just gotten the latest Windows update a few weeks ago. After this new "update" my computer was altered a lot. The wall paper was gone, the size of desktop icons changed, my taskbar items had been removed and replace with some bs. When the machine first booted up, I was taken to an MSN browser, which is awful. I tried to open Firefox but was unable to do so, and it would no allow me to put Firefox on the task bar (it gave me the red circle with the cross bar). Instead, it kept taking me back the MSN browser. I gave up trying clean up the mess and restored my computer to a previous date. This happened once before a month or so ago. What is happening? How can I prevent this from happening again.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a bug infestation on your PC. You got some sort of malware, trojan or worm deeply embedded on your system.

I would try and install and run these programs: Malwarbytes Pro, it's basic software if free and there is a trial version for real time protection good for 14 days. Then try Hitman Pro.......same as above. Then finally use Norton Power Eraser, it's free and will dig down deep for any embedded nasty's.

Next would be to clean up any junk and/or temporary files of your browsers and system. Use System Ninja for that....it's free.

If none of this works.....then a clean install of the OS will be required. If not...you will continue to have this issue.

Reaction score
Thanks for this. I run AVG and Malwarbytes regularly. I will run these other programs you suggest and hope for the best.

Reaction score
Doing it right now. thanks. Could not run NPE - got an error. Was informed that NPE will not run on my version of Win10.

Reaction score
What version of Windows were you running before, and after, the update?

Reaction score
Nothing I tried worked, so I just gave up and did a clean install. Had to restore all programs, etc. Pain in the ass, but not that bad really. It was less work than all the work i had done trying to get rid of the bad bug.

Reaction score
For now (?) you are back to normal.
With no conclusion, with the help, could you mark the thread as solved.

Ask a Question