Multiple problems - same cause?

Reaction score
I have several issues with my Win10 istallation - an upgrade from Win7 - but on new hardware. My main drive is an M.2. These are some of my issues:
1. Opening Explorer takes like 30 seconds. But if one Explorer is open it starts instantly.
2. I cannot change default web browser to Chrome. Via "Start" -> Settings I can choose Chrome but to no effect. If I try to change via .http - no change. In the old style control panel Chrome is not even listed as an alternativ.
3. Installation of Visual Studio 2015 hangs for hours in creation a restore point. Cancelling the installation also hangs "forever". Had to force it to quit.
4. Generally opening "New file" in Word and other apps can take 30 seconds the first time (to populate recent files?).

I suspect a common cause. But what? Any ideas?

Kjell K

Reaction score
I suppose I will start, first of all Chrome has caused problems with certain updates at different times. I don't run it but you might try reinstalling..

What version of Win 10 are you now running and what type of system do you have. Put winver in a run box and it will tell you the version. I also run a m.2 PCIe drive and don't seem to have problems with that but I did not upgrade directly from Win 7. Some driver or utility you ran in Win 7 may be involved.

If it does take a long time to open files in explorer it may be an access problem with a drive and it may not be the primary drive. It may even be looking at a network location. If you open Task Manager you might be able to tell if something is taking CPU time after you make a selection and if you need, you might even check the Resource Monitor.

Have you checked the Visual Studio version for compatibility with Win 10? Was it installed when you upgraded to Win 10 and if not how did you uninstall it previously?

Reaction score
Chrome - yes I have uninstalled, downloaded and made a new install a few days ago.

I run version 1511 (10586.545)

It takes a long time but no CPU, no more memory - just waits (hangs) - probably network oriented problem.

I have Visual Studio 2010 and 2013 already installed. VS 2015 I tried to install today.

The computer i have built myself.

I guess it is a nework related and/or authorisation problem somewhere. I should probably try to sniff the network?

Reaction score
Since you don't yet have the latest upgrade to Win 10, can we assume your Windows Updates is not working? Different builds of the OS have problems with different things. Some versions had problems with Network connections..

Someone with Chrome would know more specifics about any problems with it.

Since I don't run Visual Studio, is it normal to have several versions installed and especially the 2010 version? Could it be causing some problems?

Reaction score
I hate Microsoft WIN 10!!!! Why on Earth would you decide to update an OS that has multiple issues, all the dang time! I DO NOT use Microsoft Internet Explorer nor do I want to, that is my choice. Last night when I shut down my computer, Microsoft decided I needed another update - light blue screen and stated DO NOT TURN OFF your computer. I did not, Microsoft conveniently locked me out of my laptop all damn day! I kept getting an error message that I entered the wrong PIN. I DID NOT change my PIN number. I felt hostage to Microsoft OS which took me nearly 4 1/12 hours to finally log into my computer. What a tremendous waste of my day; not being productive and also losing out on job opportunities, as I was unable to retrieve my resume to send to a potential employer. I don't think WIN 10 is user friendly and the more aggrevated I get with the software, the more I am leaning towards another OS system and getting away from MS altogether.

Ask a Question