Mute sound from speaker after unplugging Headphones

Reaction score
Hallo!I am running Windows 10 Home 64 bit and Realtek High Definition Audio (Speaker/Headphone) driver.

I wanted to setup a configuration such that if I unplug my headphones from my machine,the machine mutes and no sound comes out from the inbuilt speakers.

Is there a script or configuration I can implement to aid in this?Also,I should be able to undo these settings and revert back to using inbuilt speakers when I want to.

Thanks

Reaction score
This is not a useful reply
If you want some program or script to do it for you, I think you'll have to write your own. The whole point of unplugging the headphones is to use the speakers, if you mean a speaker built into a motherboard or case, you can just disable it altogether, in the BIOS. If your PC is a laptop, then you're back to square one, I never tried to disable those.
Personally, I never unplug my headphones from my desktop, and on my laptops, if I am using headphones I normally kill the sound, or tun the whole thing off.

Reaction score
It's a hardware issue. Plugging in a headset disables the speaker/output socket on the back of the desktop or disables the internal speakers in a Notebook, unplugging re-enables the devices. Controlling the volume as desired would have to be done before unplugging the headset. Notebooks have keys for hardware control of the volume irrespective of the OS, just can't see it happen until the OS loads.

Reaction score
If you want some program or script to do it for you, I think you'll have to write your own. The whole point of unplugging the headphones is to use the speakers, if you mean a speaker built into a motherboard or case, you can just disable it altogether, in the BIOS. If your PC is a laptop, then you're back to square one, I never tried to disable those.
Personally, I never unplug my headphones from my desktop, and on my laptops, if I am using headphones I normally kill the sound, or tun the whole thing off.
I need this feature since when I plug in my headphones and lets say play loud music,sometimes the headphones disconnect themselves from the computer and the sound now is audible to everyone near me ( lets say at work) and this disturbs those around me but I eventually quickly return the headphones to the computer.I would prefer if the headphones accidentally disconnects itself the internal speakers are in mute so that I don't disturb those around me.

In fact I have a dual boot Windows 10,Debian Linux OS system and in Debian I have successfully managed to disable speakers when headphones unplug themselves (and have option to return to speakers when I want to) without going into BIOS thus I think it should be able to effect the same in Windows.

Reaction score
I'll have to test then next time I have my Linux Mint Notebook running. It may depend upon which 'flavor' of Debian is being used, there's quite a few, Mint is Debian based, also have Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu and Xubuntu and a few other bootable USB thumb drives for demos, all Debian based. Only ones I've not checked out are RPM-based and Red Hat.
www.distrowatch.com

Any help from your other post?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'll have to test then next time I have my Linux Mint Notebook running. It may depend upon which 'flavor' of Debian is being used, there's quite a few, Mint is Debian based, also have Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu and Xubuntu and a few other bootable USB thumb drives for demos, all Debian based. Only ones I've not checked out are RPM-based and Red Hat.
www.distrowatch.com

Any help from your other post?
I need this feature since when I plug in my headphones and lets say play loud music,sometimes the headphones disconnect themselves from the computer and the sound now is audible to everyone near me ( lets say at work) and this disturbs those around me but I eventually quickly return the headphones to the computer.I would prefer if the headphones accidentally disconnects itself the internal speakers are in mute so that I don't disturb those around me.

In fact I have a dual boot Windows 10,Debian Linux OS system and in Debian I have successfully managed to disable speakers when headphones unplug themselves (and have option to return to speakers when I want to) without going into BIOS thus I think it should be able to effect the same in Windows.
If your headphones, unplug themselves, you either need a longer cord, so they stay in as you move, or some duck tape to hold it in your broken jack. If you switch to Bluetooth, you can't unplug.

Reaction score
sometimes the headphones disconnect themselves from the computer and the sound now is audible to everyone near me
One way around that particular issue is to use an audio extension cable plugged into the speaker/output socket [usually light green] on the back of a desktop and plug the headset into that and put tape over the audio jack on the front of the case so it is not inadvertently used.

Reaction score
Plug in the headphones, find something to listen to and when the sound starts, press the Windows and "R" keys simultaneously, type or paste "ms-settings:apps-volume" into the "Open" box and click "OK". When settings opens, find the app generating the sound and see if you can change the output from "Default" to "Headphones".

Ben

Ask a Question