SOLVED WIN 10 will not mute

Reaction score
This problem happened this week-

The sound does not mute- either via key board on on the screen with software

Tried updating RealTek drivers, and a few others things bit to no avail.

The speaker icon shows that it mutes but the sound is still there.

Any thoughts of a solution?

Reaction score
Are the speakers self-powered, have their own AC adapter? If so does unplugging either the power or the cord to the computer kill the sound off. Or is it a Notebook/Laptop? Should have keys on the keyboard to control the volume, maybe an Fn plus another key?

Reaction score
Hello Big Horn
The speakers are self powered- yes if unplugged the sound goes off- the key bd works
It is a desk top- Even when I mute via volume mixer sound still is playing

Reaction score
I have worked on some older Desktops that also had an internal speaker although the sound quality was not all that great. Try unplugging the external speakers' cord from the sound jack on the computer to assure they are completely disconnected and test again. The plug and jack usually are light green.

Reaction score

Attachments

• VER.jpg
    VER.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 118
Reaction score
Did you right click the sound icon on the taskbar and select "Troubleshoot"?. :)

Reaction score
Yes of course- the problem lied with a corrupted driver for RealTek- had to jump through many hoops but finally got it to work normally-
Thanks for the help

Reaction score
OK- so lessons learned- once a month set a restore point- I needed to go back to a restore point but the farthest it went was a few days ago.
The new RealTek drivers are huge and did not help- not sure why they are so huge 256 megs.
The only thing that got it to work was to remove the driver & software associated with it and do a restore.
Finally - you never know what file will get corrupted- I did install any new software-
Thanks for the help
PB

Ask a Question