Windows 10 | Left Shift reduces volume, Right Shift toggle mute and Left Ctrl toggle airplane mode

Reaction score
I have a new laptop HP Pavilion 15, with Windows 10 Home, and the keyboard (a standard QWERTY) if isn't working properly:
  • When I press the "Left Ctrl" key it's enable/disable Airplaine Mode and opens the Outlook app.
  • When I press the "Left Shitt" key it's reduces the volume.
  • When I press the "Right Shift"key it's enable/disable the Mute of the volume.

I already tried:
  1. Installing updates from Windows Update Center.
  2. Installing all driver updates using HP Assistant.
  3. Tried another keyboard layouts.

Is there anything I can do to check if it's either a software problem or a hardware problem?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you have some third party program like "Hotkeys" or other such software that supports configuring macros to alter keyboard behavior.
The first thing you might try is rebooting the machine into Safe Mode to see if it behaves the same.
Tried another keyboard layouts.
Not sure if that means you've actually tried another keyboard or if you've just sampled other layouts based on some language or region settings (layouts)?
Microsoft has a pretty extensive list of their "Keyboard Shortcuts"
AND based on that, it doesn't seem as though the ones you describe above are actually intended.

Ask a Question