My computer memory is getting consumed too much, Why is that so?

Reaction score
Hello Techies,

Problem:
1. Whenever i open the "TASK BAR" i see 90% memory consumed.....Is this a problem?
2. Why is it getting consumed soo much?
3. How can i increase my computer "MEMORY"?

For my computer specifications, please see the attached screenshots.

Attachments

• Computer specifications.jpg
    Computer specifications.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 177
  • task manager.jpg
    task manager.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 165
Reaction score
Whatever Microsoft say 4GB is rather thin for the 64 bit Windows 10.
8GB better and 16GB better still. My desktop PC with 16GB shows 28% used just idling with just the browser while I type this. So it is using 4GB while doing nothing.

I also have a Lenovo laptop with a similar I5 to yours. I added the second SODIMM in that to get it to 8GB made a lot of difference.

Reaction score
Organize the task manager by memory used (click where it says memory), then take and post a screenshot. 4gb isn't a lot of memory for Windows 10, but can be done if you make sure unnecessary programs aren't running. One thing the eats a lot of ram is Chrome (or any other modern browser). With a few tabs open, they can use as much as 1 gb.

Reaction score
Especially newer browser versions can take a toll on older hardware. As of now, my Firefox consumes almost 800MB of my usable 3.37GB (4GB RAM on a ICH7 Chipset - RAM 78% used) with only one Tab open. it will go down to 45%.

2020-06-30_201335.jpg

The same page opened with Edge only uses 260MB with only 57% RAM usage

Reaction score
Organize the task manager by memory used (click where it says memory), then take and post a screenshot. 4gb isn't a lot of memory for Windows 10, but can be done if you make sure unnecessary programs aren't running. One thing the eats a lot of ram is Chrome (or any other modern browser). With a few tabs open, they can use as much as 1 gb.

Attachments

• saved.jpg
    saved.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 133
Reaction score
Whatever Microsoft say 4GB is rather thin for the 64 bit Windows 10.
8GB better and 16GB better still. My desktop PC with 16GB shows 28% used just idling with just the browser while I type this. So it is using 4GB while doing nothing.

I also have a Lenovo laptop with a similar I5 to yours. I added the second SODIMM in that to get it to 8GB made a lot of difference.
Where should i go for adding this SODIMM, and how much it costs. (sorry if my question annoys you......but i'm not a much of software guy)

Reaction score
Especially newer browser versions can take a toll on older hardware. As of now, my Firefox consumes almost 800MB of my usable 3.37GB (4GB RAM on a ICH7 Chipset - RAM 78% used) with only one Tab open. it will go down to 45%.

View attachment 12050

The same page opened with Edge only uses 260MB with only 57% RAM usage
does changing the browser that we use affect it ?

Reaction score
As chrome is according to your taskmanager the biggest memory hog, I do not think it is the culprit as Chrome only uses 5% of your memory. There seems to be something hogging your memory that is NOT listed and I can only think of one thing: Shared memory with your GPU.
If that is the case, an increase of memory will definitely improve your overall performance.

Do you mind to post the specs of your computer please? Especially the main board model is of importance cause then we can advise you in regards of adding more memory. In order to get this information, I use the little program CPU-Z:

This is the information we need:

2020-07-05_125014.jpg

Well, this is the info of my old laptop but it will get us the information we need to help you

Reaction score
The image of Task Manager shows 6 tabs open in Firefox, that can account for the 700+ RAM in use. I see such once in awhile with 16GB installed and pages start to slow so I use Task Manager to End Task then wait until Firefox is off that list then try again, usually get the pages I had open on the Restore Session.

Adding memory is not a software thing but needs to be done by adding module to the motherboard, I prefer 8GB on Notebooks if possible and have 2 Desktops running with 16GB.

All the 'niceties' of Web pages is the amount of graphics on them, takes memory to display them.

Ask a Question