Repeated Hardware Remove.wav sound when computer sleeps

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've got an Acer Aspire TC-885 desktop that goes though "fits" where it repeatedly makes the Windows "Device Disconnect" sound like when you unplug a USB drive. There are no error messages that accompany these alerts. All connections and cables are tight.

This occurs ONLY when the computer is idle and it occurs in spurts. The hardware remove sound will occur (usually in two's) ten or twelve times, then it will go quiet. Then it will start again a few minutes later. No apparent errors in the device manager. As soon as I "wake up" the computer, the problem stops.

I ran Process Monitor and filtered for any actions that were activating that Windows Hardware Remove.wav file and got the following results that seem to point to Explorer.exe.

Process Monitor.JPG

Here are google drive links to two full Process Monitor reports that detail some pretty bad spells.

Google drive link #1

Google drive link #2

Attempted Solutions:
1.) Disabling the USB Selective Suspend Setting in the power/sleep settings hasn't fixed the issue.
2.) Disconnecting ALL usb devices (keyboard, mouse, external drives, etc.) doesn't prevent the hardware remove sound from playing when computer sleeps.
3.) USBLogView shows no activity. Only Process Monitor picks up what's shown and linked above.
4.) Clean Boot seems to help temporarily, but problem returns with minimal use.

EventGhost shows an error regarding x10 Remote, but I don't even know what that is. Possible culprit?
1593526841794.png

Let me know if any other details are required, and thanks in advance for anyone who can help!

System info:

Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.18362

12 GB Ram

Intel Core i5-9400 2.90GHz

Ask a Question