SOLVED Computer starts up at night.

Reaction score
Odd times I sometimes as an old so and so have to get up In the night, occasionally no specific times I find the computer has started up, usually check next day to see if anything has been downloaded, nothing I can find. I know I could probably do with a format but am waiting to let latest one settle down before doing that, keeping up to date with MWB and M/s nothing shows up there, anyone got ideas? Thanks.

Reaction score
Have you WoL active (Wake on LAN) ? Your computer may get a wake up package from somewhere.

Reaction score
Well rather obvious that I do that if it comes on in the night, I know I'm getting on but not that bad yet. Lol

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well rather obvious that I do that if it comes on in the night, I know I'm getting on but not that bad yet. Lol
Try this tonight when you're ready to retire for the evening and for the next couple nights.

Hold the Windows Logo Key on your keyboard and strike the R key
In the run dialog box type the following
shutdown /s
Hit the enter key or click OK
You'll see a prompt about being logged off and then shutting down.
Give it a minute and then go to bed, make your usual checks during the night and keep us posted.

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble, I shall try that, might be a while before saying solved as it is very intermittent.

Reaction score
You could shut your PC and also disconnect the Internet cable from the PC.
That would solve the problem for you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear it, now....
Back to post #4 where Jimbo (bassfisher6522) commented something about "turning off at night" and you responded with "you do".

What you've discovered is, that perhaps you haven't been, at least not completely.
What likely has been happening is that you've actually been sleeping the computer which may or may not transition into hibernate and in that state it is subject to certain activities waking the computer, one of which Grizzly noted in post #2 (there are multiple others).

You might have to do a little extra research into your power settings to confirm the computer is actually "shutting down" when you perform "your" typical "shut down" Not mine.
One of them is here

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

There maybe another such setting but this is the most likely.
Have a look and see how yours is set.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Trouble, I've never turned the machine off any other way than the power button, never had a problem till recently. I'vejust checked the setting and they are the same as you recommended, never bothered about it going to sleep either, left on all day. I will go back to turning off with the power button and see what happens. Thanks again for everyones help.

Ask a Question