My first SSD

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Reaction score
That is cheap! I presume that is US$ so it would be $113 Cdn including tax which is still cheap for a 500Gb drive

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's a great deal :).

Upgrading to an SSD was the best move I've made - if anyone ever asks me for a recommendation for a new laptop or PC, I always put it at the top of the list.

You'll never go back to spinning disks for a primary drive now :D.

Reaction score
There is piece of good magic here.

Buy your 500GB SSD
Buy a USB3 enclosure for a 2.5" disk ($25-35 for a good quality one.
Install the SSD into the enclosure
Using Paragon, Macrium whatever clone the original disk onto the SSD
Open up the laptop ( if in doubt check Youtube for instructions)
remove the old disk open up the enclosure insert the old disk.
Put the SSD into the laptop
Put the old spinner into the enclosure.
Test the laptop.

The magic is that you now have an external disk for backups in a standard USB3 enclosure ( keeps it safe)
You will find that a USB port can cope with a spinner as long as you have the laptop plugged in and of course most of the good enclosures have a wall wart with them for power.

Reaction score
Well I got my first SSD Saturday and spent Sunday morning doing a clean install. The SSD I chose is a WD Blue 500 GB that was on sale for $74.99.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820250087&cm_re=WD_ssd-_-20-250-087-_-Product

I must say; going from a RAID 0 to a single SSD is like night and day. I can't believe how fast this it. So far no issues to be had...knock on wood.

That is a deal. I tried to see what this one costs at my preferred dealer and it said Item discontinued. Well, my SSD's that I have were not under US$100 but they mostly are discontinued as well.Looks like that they are only manufactured for a year then onto the next one.I never had a RAID so I do not know the improvement on that but changing from a spinner to a SSD improved my old hardware in a big way. I never regretted going that way.

Ask a Question