My icons have all changed to the picture for Windows photo

Reaction score
I was going to customize some of my folder icons. When I browsed to the folders where I have downloaded ico icons I find every one now looks like the Windows photo icon.

I haven't been in the forum for a long time. I don't see any place to attach a screenshot.

I forgot to sign in. That's why there was no Attach option.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
I was going to customize some of my folder icons. When I browsed to the folders where I have downloaded ico icons I find every one now looks like the Windows photo icon.

I haven't been in the forum for a long time. I don't see any place to attach a screenshot.

I forgot to sign in. That's why there was no Attach option.
Could someone please help me out with this?

Reaction score
Hi.
In Windows Explorer, open the view on the top bar
Worek through the options, as under, and see which one you prefer.

1664870273718.png

Reaction score
Hi.
In Windows Explorer, open the view on the top bar
Worek through the options, as under, and see which one you prefer.

View attachment 14259
I had already done that, but that only changes the size. However, for whatever reason, I've got my thumbnails back this morning, except for the problem with mbam, and someone is working with me on that. Thank you for answering.

Reaction score
Have you set the photos app to open .ico files as default? This is usually the reason.
Download the restore default for .ico files here:
Thank you for this information. I will remember it for future. As shown above, I did get my icons back and then lost them again after I had answered that post. I Googled the problem and found a link that described rebuilding the icon cache and that seems to have worked. One thing that was and is interfering with my icons is OneDrive (OD). I had saved my icon file in OD because I went to a lot of trouble getting the collection. After I had this troubled I removed that file from OD and stored it on one of my external drives. But still, every time I have OD active it affects my icons even though they are no longer stored there.

Reaction score
To rule out OD as the cause.
I would think my action of removing the folder from OD would determine if that is the cause, and I'm still getting the OD checkmarks on my icons even after the folder is removed.

Reaction score
Removing the icon has caused the problem, if by returning the icon file to OD it corrects the problem then the file is still connected to OD in some way.

Reaction score
Removing the icon has caused the problem, if by returning the icon file to OD it corrects the problem then the file is still connected to OD in some way.
I didn't make myself clear enough. I removed the folder because of the problem. I believed if I removed all traces of the folder from OD, it would stop having any affect on the icons, but it's still doing the same thing.

Reaction score
Is the icon still showing the default photo or is the problem now something else?
Have you run the fix for .ico files which I mentioned? This will show the icon as the picture.

Reaction score
Is the icon still showing the default photo or is the problem now something else?
Have you run the fix for .ico files which I mentioned? This will show the icon as the picture.
I've done so many things for a fix. I have my icon pictures as they should be now, after rebuilding my icon cache. I have saved the info you gave me for restoring file associations. Thank you for your help.

Ask a Question