My Pictures content missing after update

Reaction score
Today I noticed that the folders and pictures I had in the "My Pictures" folder on C: was missing.
There are a few folders, but none that I have created myself, like "Saved Pictures" which have no content what so ever.

My computer updated itself on the 30th of September, and the backup I can find before this update, is from that exact date.
(I have full administrative rights to every folder)

Now; I've looked around and all I can find is the following:
Go to the folder named "Windows.old" and restore/copy the old folder/files to the updated version of "My Pictures".

But the problem is that NONE of the content the computer tells me it has a backup of is there... It only shows exactly the same folders that are currently present in the "My Pictures" folder. Even though I've used the folder on that day, to upload pictures to facebook.
It's about 7-8.000 pictures and years of memories that are missing... But all my videos, music and documents, in their respective folders, are still there after the update - so I can't understand why my pictures are suddenly missing.

Any advice?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Patrick,

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm a little puzzled by your opening remark re: "My Pictures" folder on C:

Is this a folder you created? The only Picture folders with Windows 10 are either located in the Public folder located here: C:\Users\Public\Public Pictures (you can just type C:\Users\Public\Pictures in File Explorers address bar to get here too), or the actual Pictures folder for an individual user account located by entering %userprofile%\Pictures in the address bar of File Explorer, then pressing Enter key which will open the Pictures folder for the current logged in User.

Could you clarify whether this is the actual folder you meant, or whether you had created your own custom folder on the root directory C: please?

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Regedit I'm a tad confused. I have Windows 10 Pro each user > C:\Users has a pictures folder in the libraries with sub folders "Camera Roll" and "Saved Pictures"

I agree "My Pictures" folder must have been created by Patrick? A restore to a previous date may help?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm not highly skilled at these sort of things, but when you open your directory for C:\users, (I believe that's what it's called?) and see a list of folders like "desktop", "music" and "downloads" :)
It's the folder that pictures are stored in automatically when you upload them from e.g. your cellphone :b
And I have those two folders as well (Camera Roll and Saved Pictures)

Thanks for the feedback btw, but I found a thread somewhere from 2013 where a guy recommended a program called "Everything" or something like that - and I found all my missing pictures by searching ".jpeg" in that program :b

Reaction score
Today I noticed that the folders and pictures I had in the "My Pictures" folder on C: was missing.
There are a few folders, but none that I have created myself, like "Saved Pictures" which have no content what so ever.

My computer updated itself on the 30th of September, and the backup I can find before this update, is from that exact date.
(I have full administrative rights to every folder)

Now; I've looked around and all I can find is the following:
Go to the folder named "Windows.old" and restore/copy the old folder/files to the updated version of "My Pictures".

But the problem is that NONE of the content the computer tells me it has a backup of is there... It only shows exactly the same folders that are currently present in the "My Pictures" folder. Even though I've used the folder on that day, to upload pictures to facebook.
It's about 7-8.000 pictures and years of memories that are missing... But all my videos, music and documents, in their respective folders, are still there after the update - so I can't understand why my pictures are suddenly missing.

Any advice?

Reaction score
I'm having issues with my pictures since the update also. Seems like everything is in One drive now....I can't find anything anymore...

Reaction score
If OneDrive is involved, there are some settings which determine where certain types of files are stored. Such as if you plug in a phone will they go directly to OneDrive or to a local folder.

I was wondering if Patrick had a pictures folder which had been linked from somewhere else and added to a library.

In the Storage area of Settings-System, there is a list of partitions on which you can left click and see what type of files are there.

Reaction score
Patrick I'm no PC wizard; but, to be safe, I think it's best to save all your pics in C:\Users\Patrick\Pictures library folder; then Windows will always be directed to the correct location. In the "Pictures" folder, you can create sub folders, "My Pics, My Phone, Vacation, Misc Pics...
Now that you have located your Pics; make sure to back up the folder or create a disk image.

Reaction score
I'm not highly skilled at these sort of things, but when you open your directory for C:\users, (I believe that's what it's called?) and see a list of folders like "desktop", "music" and "downloads" :)
It's the folder that pictures are stored in automatically when you upload them from e.g. your cellphone :b
And I have those two folders as well (Camera Roll and Saved Pictures)

Thanks for the feedback btw, but I found a thread somewhere from 2013 where a guy recommended a program called "Everything" or something like that - and I found all my missing pictures by searching ".jpeg" in that program :b
How/where do I find that "Everything" program?

Ask a Question