SOLVED Mystery Controller

Reaction score
My Win 10 Ver. 21H1, custom built desktop computer running an MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt motherboard will no longer recognize my ASUS PCE-AC58BT Wi-Fi / Bluetooth adapter installed in PCI 6. When first installed about 1½ years ago it worked fine as a wireless connection with my printer. Then an automatic Win 10 upgrade knocked it out about 8 months ago and I had to go back to USB cable for my printer. Now I want to get it recognized so I can use the Bluetooth 5.0.

There is no Bluetooth On/Off button in Settings/Devices and no listing of the ASUS Wi-Fi/Bluetooth adapter in Device Mgr./Network Adapters or anywhere else. Instead there is an Intel Wireless-AS 9620 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth adapter listed in PCI 4. I just checked my motherboard and the Video Card is in PCI 2, as listed in Device Mgr., the Realtek Family Controller is in PCI 3, as listed in D.M./N.W.Adapters, but PCI 4 is empty. The only other card is my ASUS Wi-Fi/Bluetooth adapter in PCI 6, which isn't listed anywhere.

Under Services App, both Bluetooth Audio and Support are listed as Running and set to Automatic. Bluetooth User Support Service is listed as Not Running and Manual. I also went through the Events Log and couldn't find anything relevant.

How do I straighten this out so my ASUS adapter will be recognized?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ref. the above. I found out that my Asus adapter is using the Intel. wireless 9620 chipset for both wi-fi and Bluetooth, so it is being recognized by Win 10 as an Intel adapter in Device Mgr. With some help I've updated to the latest Intel wi-fi and Bluetooth drivers
which are recognized in the adapter's Device Mgr. Properties listing. Apparently, as there are no devices in the PCIe busses between bus #3 and bus #6, it showing my bus #6 adapter as being in bus #4. In Device Mgr. the adapter is listed as "working properly" and the latest Intel drivers ver. 22.100.1.1 as being installed. As a note of interest, the latest Asus driver download for their adapter has ver. 20100.0.4. of the Intel drivers for this adapter.

However, I still don't have an On/Off switch in Settings/Devices -Bluetooth. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ask a Question