Windows 10 Startup mystery

Reaction score
I have Win 10 1803 build 17134.765. Lately, I've noticed that when I do a cold reboot, it also starts Chrome and Outlook 2016.

When I check the list of startups in the Task Manager tab, neither program is even listed there, must less being enabled. I don't like utility programs to autostart. Can someone tell me where to find the 'real' list of startup programs since the Task Manager list is obviously incomplete? Thanks.

Reaction score
You state that "it starts" them. Where does it place them - on your desktop, in the start menu...or?

Reaction score
There are icons at the bottom of the screen that I click on when I want to start those programs. After rebooting each of the programs starts up. I can see them start on the screen then they are minimized. Each icon is underlined to indicate that the program is actively running.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That's a rather old version of Windows 10.
There are and have been a couple things that might be responsible for what you are experiencing.
They're considered features and toggling them on or off is very different from one version of Windows 10 to the next.
1. Activity Tracker
2. Resume from where I left off.
Use your favorite search engine and do some research and see if either is causing your issue(s).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There is actually a third feature which might also be involved.
It's located in Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in Options -> "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device and reopen my apps after update or restart"
Worth having a look and investigating

Reaction score
Thanks, Noob. I bet that's it. The switch was turned on and I just turned it off. It would be useful if it just reopened the folders I had opened before rebooting, but since some of those are on external drives, it often tells me they are not available because it hasn't registered them in its memory yet.

I've noticed that only Outlook and Chrome get restarted and none of my third party software that I may have had running.

Reaction score
After doing an update I discovered that the problem wasn't solved. I checked the sign in options and the switch is still unchecked as I left it. So that wasn't what's causing those two programs to restart when Windows starts.

There's another problem. You mentioned how old my OS is. When I check for updates I even see a message that this version is nearing the end of the support period. Yet when I check for updates it still insists that my system is up to date. So how do I get the later version of Windows if update won't offer it to me?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So how do I get the later version of Windows if update won't offer it to me?
I don't believe I have ever gotten a major update / upgrade to Windows 10 automatically from Windows Update.
It has always been my preference, when it is made available to go to
Use the media creation tool to download the ISO and create my own installation media from that
You can also simply double click the ISO (once downloaded) and run setup.exe from the mounted virtual drive that is created by double clicking the ISO or right clicking and choosing mount.

OF course you would always create a complete disk image of your current install before pursuing anything as substantial as an OS upgrade.
Just in case things did not go as intended.

Reaction score
Thanks to your help I'm now running 1903.

After the upgrade finished there was a series of hints on a screen by itself. I looked at a couple of them and intended to come back to read more. While it was open there was a light bulb icon in the task bar. Somehow it got closed and now I have no idea how to get that back. Anyone know where that's hidden? Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi, I think the "Light Bulb" you are referring to is "Tips".....Just type tips in the Taskbar Search Function on the bottom of your screen.
Regards,
John P.

Last edited:

Ask a Question