Naming local drives

Reaction score
Has anyone come up with a solution to not being able to name local drives anything other than "local drive" ?
All very confusing when running 4 or 5 USB HDD's.

Reaction score
You mean "rename" option does not work ? ............................
right click at the drive > click Rename

Reaction score
No - whatever I rename it to, when I call up Windows Explorer they're back to "Local Drive"
You can rename them in Device Manager / Memory Manager, but explorer still reads all drives as "Local Drive."
You have to go into the HDD to see what's on it.
Previously I have named my photo HDD as "PICTURES", Software HDD as "APPS", etc.
Can't see how to do that now.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried naming them from within File Explorer.
All my drives are name similarly to what you've been doing and I typically just use their individual property dialog box to affix a name.

DriveNames.JPG

Reaction score
Hi

I'm not having any issues with it either.

File%20Explorer%202_zpstr7ahnc8.jpg

I'm just right clicking on them in File Explorer and selecting "Rename".

Mike

Reaction score
I must have a glitch - after renaming like that, the icon still just reads "Local Drive"
I'm going to try Noob Whisperer's suggestion next time I boot Win 10.
(dual boot and I'm on Win XP at the moment.)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I suppose it's conceivable that the dual boot may be at the root of the problem.
I know, that in the past, I've experienced some peculiar behavior when dual booting.
If all the drives are present in both boot scenarios, are they named the same in both?

Reaction score
KenParkyn - did you manage to solve this issue? I have the some challenge. I can rename internal drives but my external WD, connected via USB, just will not rename. Frustrating! All help appreciated. It will hold the new name in Device Manager, but not in File Explorer.

Reaction score
KenParkyn - did you manage to solve this issue? I have the some challenge. I can rename internal drives but my external WD, connected via USB, just will not rename. Frustrating! All help appreciated. It will hold the new name in Device Manager, but not in File Explorer.

Right click on it in Computer management and select 'Create Simple Volume" I believe is the option it will walk you through a setup to assign a drive letter, an option to format or not format and when it is done you will see your drive and be able to use it in Windows Explorer.

Ask a Question