Network problem

Reaction score
Hi i did have two computers running windows 7 pro and when i clicked on the network icon on the desktop i could see the second computer and any folders i had setup with file sharing with no problems

Now both computers are running windows 10 pro and the folders i need to share are still shared with full permission but i have a problem.

On my laptop i am not able to see the PC at all all i see is my laptop icon and my router but no PC

On my PC i can see doth computers and the router but when i click on the laptop it says cannot access this computer

Any advice please

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Generally I recommend to first consider any third party security suite software installed on the problem network nodes.
Remove it / them using the programs and features applet in the control panel and follow that up with the vendor specific, proprietary removal tool (google it).
Reboot and see what happens.
Every security suite has its' own unique way of managing network communications and often people do not understand how to tweak it sufficiently to prevent common network issues.

Interestingly enough, in most cases, after the removal and your network is working again, reinstalling the Security Suite, does not seem to have the same negative impact.

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the advice i will give that a try later and see what happens

Just a thought i was using Kaspersky internet security and the network was working fine. but i did have to install the latest version of Kaspersky, it might well be that

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
it might well be that
Very true.
Sometimes those third party security suites can be a bit overzealous in their efforts to protect you from yourself and especially if it includes a firewall component.
It would probably have to be tweaked to allow the updates to work.
IDK, there maybe something on their community forum as to which box to check or uncheck or IDK.

Reaction score
Very true.
Sometimes those third party security suites can be a bit overzealous in their efforts to protect you from yourself and especially if it includes a firewall component.
It would probably have to be tweaked to allow the updates to work.
IDK, there maybe something on their community forum as to which box to check or uncheck or IDK.

Thank you for the advice i think i will remove Kaspersky totally and see if that works

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Might be worth a test at least. Although Kaspersky is a very good product.
After uninstalling through the Programs and Features applet in the Control Panel, you may want to follow that up with the vendor specific, proprietary removal tool from here.
http://support.kaspersky.com/common/service.aspx?el=1464#block1
Just to make sure there are no remnants of the product left over on your system.

Reaction score
Might be worth a test at least. Although Kaspersky is a very good product.
After uninstalling through the Programs and Features applet in the Control Panel, you may want to follow that up with the vendor specific, proprietary removal tool from here.
http://support.kaspersky.com/common/service.aspx?el=1464#block1
Just to make sure there are no remnants of the product left over on your system.

Hi i have removed Kaspersky internet security totally from both of my computers and the network folder sharing is now working as it should.

I did stop protection and then try but i had to remove kaspersky to get it to work.

I have installed kaspersky on one machine again and i now have the same problem

So what now

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
First of all, good job!
I did stop protection and then try but i had to remove kaspersky to get it to work.
You have no idea how hard it is sometimes to convince people that they cannot Stop or Disable some of the bits and pieces of their security suites and that a full removal is required in order to properly diagnose the problem.
So thanks.

Regarding your issue returning after reinstalling?
I think that is something you are going to have to take up with the software vendor, using their community forum boards or through an email, live chat or phone call.
I am certain, that it is likely a minor tweak to the program, some checkbox somewhere that needs to be ticked or un-ticked.

Reaction score
First of all, good job!

You have no idea how hard it is sometimes to convince people that they cannot Stop or Disable some of the bits and pieces of their security suites and that a full removal is required in order to properly diagnose the problem.
So thanks.

Regarding your issue returning after reinstalling?
I think that is something you are going to have to take up with the software vendor, using their community forum boards or through an email, live chat or phone call.
I am certain, that it is likely a minor tweak to the program, some checkbox somewhere that needs to be ticked or un-ticked.

Thank you Trouble

Yes your advice to remove KIS completely was the correct way to go.

By trial and error i found i had to go to Settings/ Protection/ Firewall/ Networks and then set the network from Private to local.

Reboot and now it works ok except it will not let me connect to my satellite box at all but if i stop KIS it connects first time.

I also found i dont have to remove KIS just click on the Bottom right task bar on the K icon and click exit then i can connect to my sat box

Thanks for your advice

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for filling us in on some of the bits and bobs of KIS. All good to know stuff.

Ask a Question