SOLVED 1709 build networking problem

Reaction score
Since MS "upgraded" me to the fall creation build, I have not been able to see other computers on the network that shows as being there. Both laptop and desk computers got the "upgrade" two days ago and networking was working just fine til the upgrade. Both computers show that each is connected to the network, and both show the network printers, and the TV, and fire stick, and the computers as media devices. But not the desktop or laptop in file explorer. I have run the trouble shooter, to no avail, reset the modem, and restarted the computers twice. Hoping not to have to try resetting the "network".

Also, I have not been able to get a homegroup set up since going to W10. Didn't really care since I had the "network" to share files between computers. Now curious to hear if there is a way to "reset" the homegroup function. From either computer, it says that computer can JOIN a homegroup and when I try it asks for a password, understandably. I have tried the p/w from the W7 days (the last one I had) and that doesn't work - from either computer.

Any ideas/suggestions gratefully accepted. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
The network is shown as 'private' on all the computers?
File and printer sharing is turned on?

Reaction score
For Tim: Yes and Yes.

Also, for anyone looking at this thread, I finally found how to disconnect each computer from homegroup. When I finally did that, I was able to start a new homegroup. After that, I went back to look at the network and lo and behold, the computer I was on popped up on the network. Went to the other computer and checked homegroup it was there and then looked at the network on file explorer and both were present and usable. I have no reasonable explanation for what ands why, but it works now and time to do that "happy dance", according to my granddaughter.

And again, THANKS! to Tim for at least looking at it and contributing.

Reaction score
You're welcome. I tried homegroups and never managed to get them working...back in the early days of W10. At the time it didn't seem worth worrying about.

Reaction score
Tim, Don't know how to contact you directly, so if you are interested in my approach to finally getting HomeGroup back on my network, here is a ,txt file of what I think I did. Again, Thanks.

Attachments

• HomeGroup Reset.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 635
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to write it all down. I did follow you instructions to the T. However when I got to step 10 - I get this message - "Windows can't set up a homegroup on this computer." I've messed around on this issue a few times over most of the year and its kind of sickening. I hate Windows.

Reaction score
Tim, Hope you get this.

Attachments

• HomeGroup ideas.txt
    7 KB · Views: 547
Reaction score
Thank u DonC - I followed the instructions and everything appeared to be ok until I got to turning on "Peer Networking Grouping". I get this error message - "Windows could not start the Peer Networking Grouping service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

Reaction score
Then I tried something I saw on the internet -
The solution
  1. Open cmd (command prompt) with admin permissions and run: netsh winsock reset
  2. Navigate to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\" folder and then rename 'MachineKeys' folder to 'MachineKeys.old'.
I re-started but this did NOT work for me.

Reaction score
Got it to work!!! I did what I have above, then I created a new folder called MachineKeys in the same location. Re-booted. Made sure these were all running -
Peer Name Resolution Protocol
Peer Network Identity Manager
PNRP Machine Name Publication
in the Services section.

Then I created a Homegroup on my pc, changed the password to a reasonable password then had my wife's pc join the Homegroup using that password. Now we can share all the folders we want. Voila. Thank you very much for your help. I also got help from here - http://troubleshooter.xyz/wiki/troubleshoot-cant-start-peer-name-resolution-protocol-service/.

Ask a Question