SOLVED Several severe issues before/during/after Build 1709

Reaction score
So -- on Thanksgiving Day, the following sequence of events happened. I'm not saying all of it was due to the latest update, but let me lay it all out:

At 1 pm, I left the room where my HP Pavilion p6616f is located. When I returned a few minutes later, the screen resolution on my display had changed. It was now set to 1400x1050, not the native resolution of my monitor, 1920x1080, where it has always been set. And my display settings told me that 1400x1050 was the highest resolution available. (In case you're wondering, this Pavilion comes with a Radeon HD 4200 display card, a cheap card that is required by the weak 250W power supply HP put in this thing, but always suitable for my needs.)

I decided to run Windows Update to see if this could be an issue with an expired (?!) display driver or something that WU might fix. When I looked, it said a cumulative update was ready to install. I selected to install it. When it completed its first install step, about 20% through the process, the computer restarted (as it will, several times, through a cumulative update), and then claimed that my hard drive was unmountable.

Fortunately, my roommate has a Win 10 laptop, so I was able to sacrifice a USB thumb drive to become a bootable media device, which let me access the computer's repair options. After a few tries where nothing happened, I finally got it to load the repair options. That let me repair the boot sector and load Windows. And even though it said it was completing the update, after it came back up, I ran Windows Update and it stated I needed to download and install the cumulative update again. And the resolution issue had not been fixed.

Well, I told my display driver to roll back to the prior version, and I got my native resolution back. I then re-downloaded and re-installed the cumulative upgrade to Build 1709. This time, though, the download took about two hours and the install about three hours.

After that was done, the resolution was back to 1400x1050 and the display settings again said it wouldn't support higher, and sure enough, the windows update also re-installed the newer driver which caused this. I tried to roll back again, and found the option grayed out -- the cumulative update had wiped the computer's memory of the earlier driver.

WU then wanted to download and install a Features Update, so I let it. At this point, the Shut down option from the Start Menu stopped working; when selected, it came up with the spinning oval (the resolution being wrong, so not a spinning circle) of dots, saying it was shutting down, then the desktop just popped back up and it just kept running.

Once the final update was done, was done, I tried all sorts of things to get the display driver to roll back, and Windows just kept failing to see older drivers. It insisted that the now-faulty driver was the latest, and would not show any other drivers than the most recent.

I told the Device Manager to remove the display adapter, figuring Windows would see and re-install the adapter, then restarted the computer. And had no display at all; the card would put out anything to the monitor.

I resisted the almost overwhelming urge to pick up the tower and throw it out into the middle of the street, turned off the computer, and went to bed.

The next day, I started it up and actually did what I expected the day before; it re-installed the device. It also installed the faulty driver. But this time, when I had it look for other drivers, it found the original driver. I installed it, and got my native resolution back.

It's still not fixed; Windows suddenly doesn't think the display adapter can support the photos option anymore, forcing it to the Windows Live Photo Gallery screen saver option, which is alternately only showing about 75% of 1920x1080 photos on my 1920x1080 resolution, or shifting full-width images far over to the right side, cutting off the right sides and leaving big black areas on the left.

I figure the initial display issue has something to do with the onboard display adapter. I am hamstrung in replacing it by the fact that my expansion slots are PCI-Express 1 and 1x16, while most currently available new cards say they are PCI-E 2.0 compatible, and very few cards will run with this 250W power supply. I found and ordered a VisionTek Radeon HD 4350 that says it will run with the 250W power supply, but I have no idea if it will have Windows 10 drivers. I sure hope Windows thinks it has enough oomph to let me do its own photos screen saver.

I am good with installing cards, but I am convinced that if I try to replace my power supply, I'll manage to permanently kill the motherboard or the quad-core CPU. So, I'm not likely to put a bigger PSU in, just to prove I can't do it at the expense of needing to buy an entirely new tower, which I can't really afford right now.

Anyone have any ideas what happened to suddenly make Windows stop respecting my display card? And anyone else have Build 1709 kill your boot sector?

Reaction score
You can get the Win10 drivers for the Radeon HD 4350 from AMD.
Don't know what resolutions the Radeon HD 4350 supports.
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/ATI-Radeon-4000-Series-Drivers.aspx

You onboard video is Integrated graphics using ATI Radeon 4200.
It will work about the same as the card you bought.

Use the Windows 8 drivers.

*Either integrated graphics or the PCI Express x16 slot are usable at one time; they are not usable concurrently.

Reaction score
*Either integrated graphics or the PCI Express x16 slot are usable at one time; they are not usable concurrently.
I believe you can hybrid crossfire the onboard 4200 and the 4350.

Get the drivers from AMD. Windows has of habit of updating the drivers with older or non working drivers. the max resolution of either one is 2560 x 1600

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys!

The Radeon HD 4350 arrived, and except for needing to kludge in a missing screw to firm the outer plate down onto the back of the tower, it went in to the available PCI1x16 slot just fine.

After I wired the tower back up and powered up, as I expected, Windows applied a driver that would not support my native resolution, and also, as I had half-expected, the installation CD that came with the new card supported Windows XP and Vista. Didn't even have Windows 7 driver installation software.

When I looked in the Device Manager, it seems my system sees this as a Radeon HD 4330 card, not 4350. But, exactly as for the onboard card, while Windows had installed a driver dated in July of 2017 that would not support 1920x1080 resolution (high of 1400x1050 only), when I looked for other drivers in my System32 folder I found a driver dated from October of 2015. I installed it, and it is working perfectly.

I now have the Windows Photos screen saver option back, which once again works properly. I have my native 1920x1080 resolution back, on both my PC monitor (VDI connection) and HD TV (VGA connection). I also now have an option to change the connection out to the HD TV to an HDMI cable; I may experiment with that, now that I can do it. (I have to find a spare HDMI cable to test it, but I'm positive I have one or two lying round in drawers somewhere.)

In addition, a number of games that I run (not multi-player) that had started displaying poorly, or that I had abandoned entirely because they would not display at all as of the update to Windows 10, are now displaying properly again. So, something to do with the Windows 10 drivers for this chipset is badly messed up; none of the drivers WU has installed since the Windows 10 upgrade has worked properly.

I may go to AMD's website, or VisionTek's (the specific manufacturer of this card that uses AMD's Radeon chipset), just to see if they have any updated Windows 10 drivers that don't mess with my resolution. I did run a Windows Update pass to see if WU wanted to update my display driver, but it didn't find anything. I had placed the HD 4200 driver update into a Hidden status after I had recovered to the point I was at before installing the new card -- maybe that will apply to any updates WU tried to do to this chipset?

It appears I can find the working drivers, though, if I make the display adapter driver set-up (System > Device Manager>Display Adapter>Properties) look through the drivers folder in the main System32 folder. So, all now seems to be back where it was when all this crap rolled downhill onto me, and I'm only out about $50 or so. Not too bad, when you consider the alternatives.

Bigfeet -- how would I go about trying to tell my system to auto-crossfire the two display cards? I have no need for the extra display output ports, so the only thing I would want out of that would be the increased dedicated video RAM, and I suspect the onboard card of having RAM issues that caused some of its problems. So, not certain if that would help me any. The new card has 512MB of RAM; the cards with a GB of RAM all required either bigger power supplies, or, more limiting, PCI 2.0 slots 9and mine are only PCI 1.0). The new card is handling things like object-heavy Flash games a lot better than the old card, I am noticing.

Oh, and BTW -- when I did the first start-up with the new card in the tower but before Windows did any installing, I did not see the initial BIOS screen. If the BIOS will only pump video out of the onboard ports, I may have issues in the future if I need to reset the boot menu or something like that...

Reaction score
I've never done hybrid crossfire before. I'm sure it would need to be done in your bios. Every bios is different, so I can't really help with that. As far as updated drivers, AMD stopped supporting cards from the hd6000 series and earlier. These are the last 2 drivers AMD put out for the hd4000 series. They are from 2013. The second one is a beta driver. I'd use the first one. That's the one I use for my old hd4670 that's in my dad's PC. And yes, these are Windows 8 drivers, as Windows 10 wasn't out in 2013. They should work fine.

64 bit driver
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy2&os=Windows 8 - 64

32 bit driver
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy2&os=Windows 8 - 32

Ask a Question