New BIOS issues

Reaction score
Today, in order to prevent Meltdown/Spectre, I updated the BIOS for my Alienware X51-R3 to BIOS version 1.2.11.
All went well until I selected reboot to finish the update. When I selected reboot, the restart screen appeared and then froze - no response to mouse or keyboard. I shut down the machine with the hardswitch and restarted as a cold reboot. The result of this action was to go to a black screen with no other activity other than the light in the box was on indicating power. I repeated the process. This time I got to the BIOS screen and no further. I repeated the process. This time - after almost 5 minutes - boot was accomplished and I arrived at the Windows Lock Screen.

I attempted to log on with my PIN and received an error that advised me to reboot. I did so by selecting restart from the lock screen. The machine went dark and went no further. I rebooted by turning off the machine and cold reboot.

This time I booted using my Password. Windows opened normally.

I then went to Accounts and selected Add a PIN. Windows responded with "We couldn't sign you in. The request is not supported.

I then tried to reset my PW and got the message "Something Went Wrong"

Anyone have any suggestions that aren't draconian like buy a new box?

Dell support was less than helpful alleging that since I was able to boot, the BIOS was working and the issue was a windows issue. They had no suggestions at all.

I currently operate with the following limitations:
No software restart
No Pin Support
No PW reset support

I suspect that when a new Windows update arrives that installation may not be possible since apparently Windows cannot effect a software restart.

Reaction score
Can you reinstall the old bios? OR can you reinstall Windows keeping your data. I wonder if there is some incompatibility between the Windows kernel and the new Bios, stuff that is determined at install time only. Sounds unlikely in 2018 but who knows.

Reaction score
I suppose my major concern is I have not seen a Bios update which required a reboot by the user. They normally finish by themselves and depending on how old the system is, may have several bios areas to update.

I think I would try reinstalling the same Bios update and do if from the Bios, if you have that capability. There are instructions on the Dell support page showing how to do an update from a DOS prompt. There is also a note about suspending BitLocker prior to Bios Updates.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=HMNHV

Reaction score
I think the solution is simple while you can still boot at all go back to Dell site and flash the bios to the original setting. Did you not save that bios when you originally flashed it because that is a must.

Ask a Question