SOLVED New Icon Appeared In Sys Tray

Reaction score
Since the last update i now have a new icon appearing in the sys tray (bottom left hand corner of screen) It is a yellow padlock clicking on it (both left and right click) bring up no information but as soon as it is clicked it disappears and doesn't reappear until I boot up again. Has anyone any ideas what it could be for? I have googled it but all I have found is that it could be something to do with event logs being full up. I have checked the event logs and they are set to overright themselves as a default so should not be a problem.

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
Can you do a screen shot and upload it so we can see exactly what it is.
Also you have not got lock taskbar ticked have you as it could be that,

Reaction score
I have googled it but all I have found is that it could be something to do with event logs being full up

Yes, I read that reply too when I did the google search.
Have you tried to ask this question anywhere else ?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
i now have a new icon appearing in the sys tray (bottom left hand corner of screen)
Just so we are clear, the System Tray (Notification Area) is in the bottom right on your taskbar. The bottom left area which we used to call Quick Launch is now just Taskbar Icons.

SysTray.JPG

Yes.... as mentioned, in this case a picture might be worth the proverbial "thousand words".
It might be something starting at boot, so you may want to check the Start Up tab in task manager to see if you see anything there.
Additionally, you might use task manager when the icon is present to look at the "Processes" tab to see if you spot any difference in the list when it is present and when it is not.

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
glad you agreed on screen shot otherwise we are working a bit in the dark and could put him on the wrong path

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not at all sure that a picture of
It is a yellow padlock
Will provide us with much detail.
I was just hoping to clarify where he was actually seeing it appear.

Reaction score
Hi, I have checked the taskbar and have unlocked it and the icon didn't go away so have now locked it again. There is nothing in the task manager start up tab that is out of place, to check I have disabled all items in the start up tab and re booted and the icon still appears. I also can't see any difference in the processes tab. I am now going to try to add the picture to this post, fingers crossed...
Untitled.jpg

Hurray I managed it. There is the little devil, if I place the pointer on it nothing happens, If I click it either left or right click it just disappears until I boot up again. As I said before this has only started in the last couple of days.

Reaction score
No Cisco product installed, only mozilla thing is Firefox which I have been using for quite a number of years so its not a recent install. the version I have is 41.0.2

Reaction score
Since the last update i now have a new icon

Would you mind do a system restore and pick a date PRIOR to the "last update" as your restore point ?

Assuming there is no more yellow padlock after system restore, the same update will reappear and will get installed. See if that yellow padlock also reappears after that ?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to download anything.
Why not try a Clean Boot as described here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Works the same as 8 and 8.1 on 10.
You've covered the Start Up items but just go through it again including non-Microsoft services and see if you can zero in on what is producing it.

Reaction score
But I don't intend to download anything just to sort this out as its not causing any problems.

Just in case you have misunderstood what I said.
If I do a system restore and pick a date BEFORE some Windows Updates were installed, then after system restore is completed, those same Windows updates will reappear waiting to be downloaded and installed.
That is all the " download and install " I was referencing to.

Reaction score
Sorted, I have done as you suggested with the system restore, but on going back found that I had uninstalled Samsung Kies yesterday so restored to that point first and the icon has now gone. so It was something to do the the Kies programme.

Reaction score
Forgot to say, many thanks to all those who suggested things to try, I am most grateful, again thanks.

Reaction score
A little bit of further information. It would appear that when I uninstalled Samsung Kies it also broke the windows update and also the Store. As soon as I did the system restore and Kies was reinstated all started to work again. All I have to do now is work our how to uninstall Kies, but I will play with that another day...

Ask a Question