New install of Win10 Has slowed everything down.

Reaction score
I initially installed Windows 10 the 1st week it was available (laptop). 2 weeks ago I bought a new SS to rep[lace my HD. After creating an image to my SSD I reinstalled windows 10 using its own fresh install feature--no extra stuff that came originally with the PC was now installed. I also installed my Office and Adobe suite along with just 2 or 3 other apps. A day or 2 later Windows updated itself. Anyhow, I could tell how much better the SSD by how it reboots much faster. but something odd has happened as well--everything else is slower much slower. In Windows Explorer i can actually see the icons build themselves (turn into images) whereby before it was instant. Advancing a video stutters, The browsers seem to take longer to load pages. etc. etc. It seemed to me that perhaps I was 'virused' or something (though I am extremely careful when surfing and all software is 100% legal) or that in the installation of the SSD my RAM card(s) got damaged.
So I did a thorough virus/malware check with not only what W10 provides but also 4 other well' established web ones. and nothing was found. I also did a RAM check and again nothing. So my problem can not be any of these things. it must be windows. Oh yeah and it seems to often forget its defaults as well (for media files since I often get prompted with "Windows found a problem with app ABC and is reverting to windows media center" or something along those lines.

1-no bloatware should mean faster PC
2-fresh install should mean faster pc
3-SSD drive should mean faster pc.
why is it doing the opposite instead? What is going on please? Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
fresh install should mean faster pc
Yep.... yes it does, but.....
It also means that all your system's hardware drivers will likely need attention. Windows 10 does a fair to decent job, but the drivers it installs are frequently less than optimal. My advice is to go to the horse's mouth.....
PC Manufacturer, or motherboard manufacturer or specific hardware device manufacturer and download and install the latest drivers they have for your particular bit version of Windows 10.
BIOS, Chipset, disk controllers, GPU, Audio, Network, USB, etc., etc.,
AND
The SSD manufacturer's website to see if there is a firmware upgrade for that particular SSD.

Ask a Question