SOLVED New Local User Spotaneously Created

Reaction score
I upgraded to Windows 10 this afternoon. On my first restart I noticed a 2nd local account user name on the login screen. It is a jumbled mix of 11 alpha characters - nothing I would have ever created or ever did create (and no-one else has access to my computer). I figured it was just some weird thing that happened with the upgrade, so I simply deleted the account. But it keeps coming back - sometimes on a restart (but sometime not); other times even if my computer has been idle for awhile it just spontaneously re-appears. This never happened with 8.1. I am quite confident my PC is 'clean' - I use ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes, etc. for protection and regular scans and have never discovered any issues with malware or viruses.

I am at a loss to figure out what is causing this. Maybe it's nothing to worry about - but at the very least I should be able to delete that user account and make it stay away!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Was able to find a post where someone had this identical issue with Windows 8. It's ESET anti-theft creating a 2nd phantom account so I will contact them. Not sure why they would do that but it must have something to do with the updated to Windows 10.

Reaction score
So, I am only mildly "techy." Can someone tell me how to do a "clean" install? I thought one needed an installation disc to do that> Does that mean I have to buy the program, rather than using the free upgrade downloaded recently? I still have found no way to work around this problem, so I guess a "clean" install it is ...

Ask a Question