Trouble resetting local user password

Reaction score
I cannot figure out how to reset a local user's password though my admin account. I have the home version of the software. I want to reset one of my kid's pw, but the only options I can find (even using the classic control panel) is to change the local user account type (to admin!) or remove it completely. Why am I an administrator if I cannot even reset a password.

Apologies, I am confused.

Thanks for your help.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Ben,

Welcome to the Forum.

To help explain how to change your sons password I'll pretend his username is John.

When you are signed as as Administrator do the following:
  • right-click on Start
  • left-click on Command Prompt (Admin)
  • If a User Account Control pops up click Yes
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt window type the following:

Code:
    net user

Press Enter key to execute

You'll now see a list of Users - one of which is John (your son's name in my example).

Next type the following to change John's password:

Code:
    net user John *

Press Enter key to execute

You will now be prompted to enter a password. Type the new password you want then press Enter key

Next you must confirm new password. Simple type the new password again then press Enter key

You can now close the Administrator: Command Prompt by typing Exit and press Enter key

Your son's password is changed.

Note: If your son had chosen to use a Pin to log in with, and attempts to do this now, he will be alerted his password was changed and he needs to enter it. He will need to click the Sign-in option below password field and select the Key icon, then type the new password you set. After he has successfully logged in, if he wishes to he can then reset a pin to sign in with in the future.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thank you for that information. I tried, but I got an "error 5". I looked up that error and it seems to refer to not having administrator rights. I checked in multiple places (including netplwiz) and I am listed as an administrator. I am not sure what the error is. Any and all assistance would be most helpful.

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you open an elevated command prompt by:
  • Right-clicking on Start,
  • left-clicking on Command Prompt (Admin),
  • clicking Yes when the User Account Control appears,
  • type the following into the Administrator: Command Prompt:

Code:
    net user administrator /active:yes

Press Enter key

Type exit then press Enter key to close the command window.

Now left-click on Start then right-click on the Account icon and choose Sign-out.

Click the lock screen to return to logon page. You will now see a new user named Administrator. Select this and sign in (there should be no password set, but if it requires one it'll be the one you use to sign in normally with.)

Once signed in and at Desktop do the previous instructions I gave which ought to work without generation of Error 5 code.

If all that works fine, then before closing the Administrator: Command Prompt you can type the following to remove the Built-in Administrator from logon page:

Code:
net user administrator /active:no

Press Enter key then type exit and press Enter key again.

Now sign out of Administrator and sign back in as your normal user account

Reaction score
Now I get "System error 8646 has occurred". This is becoming absurd. All I want to do is reset my kid's password. I am the administrator account--I created his account. Why is it so hard to simply reset the password? Please help.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Microsoft have changed policies it appears.

Your other option is to log on as son, then go online to Microsoft and change the password there.

It seems they want us using the cloud now for alleged added security.
  • Left-click on Start
  • Left-click on Settings cog
  • Left-click on Accounts
  • Now on the Your info page click Manage my Microsoft Account

This will open a browser to the sign in page. You may need to sign in here to with sons registered email address and logon password. Once signed in simply click Change password and follow prompts.

Ask a Question