Local user account option unavailable

Reaction score
I am using the latest build 1607. I did have a Microsoft account but cancelled it some months ago as I did not require it. Windows still has me log in with the relevant email address. I would like to switch to a local user account but this option is not available in the relevant user settings window. See attached image. Is there any way that I can reinstate or reset this?

ms.jpg

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
To create a new admin user local account simply right click the start button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the context menu.
At the admin command prompt type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith

Obviously you don't actually have to use "JohnSmith"
Rumpelstiltskin is perfectly acceptable, or perhaps something of your own choosing.

Reaction score
OK that creates another user which has options for local and Microsoft account usage. My original user has no option for choice of account type. Is there a quick way to copy all theme and app details from one user to another which would allow me to get rid of the apparent problem on the original user account?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
There is a thread here
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/copying-a-user-profile-to-another-profile.4775/#post-50993
In which I point to a Microsoft resource for repairing a user profile which includes a comment from another member on a method that he seems to feel works better in his opinion.
Maybe have a read and see if that might be helpful in transferring your old profile folder content to your new user profile.

Thanks for the information. I tried your direct copy method but it failed to copy the necessary information.

My suspicion is that my original issue is down to a simple registry setting that needs to be flagged. Machine still works happily as it is its just me that is curious as to why I have the issue.

Ask a Question