New to windows 10

Reaction score
I jumped from windows xp right into 10, I am at a total loss on what to do first. I have an Asus notebook model D553S, not sure of the other peticulars. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I assume that the computer came with Windows 10 pre-installed?
Do you have any specific questions?
Maybe start with prioritizing some problems you might be experiencing and see if we can help you address them.
There are some resources http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-tMgPzAPTErvaRkJRILdctA)()
That may help, but if you need to address something specific.... just ask.

Reaction score
I have a LOT of questions. First off, I have been leaving my computer plugged in all week then unplugging for 1 overnight, is this ok to do? If I wanted to turn it off how would I do this or can I just leave it plugged in?

Reaction score
Can I save the forum to my desktop? How do I log out from the forum? Never mind The second question, I found it

Reaction score
Good news, DragonLady! Everything you need to know is in the bottom left corner of your monitor screen.

On the very left is the Start Button. It has two columns. The left one is your traditional column that you already know how to use. The right column shows you your "tiles." If you click the one for Store, you will find all kind of great Microsoft-approved programs, many of which are free.

Also, if you press the Start Button, in the very top left is the "hamburger." It looks like three lines. Click it and it will give you everything you need to make adjustments. (I advise you not to change setting until you are familiar with the system, though).

Now, right-click the Start Button and you will get a problem-solving menu.

Next to the Start Button is "Ask Cortana." This outstanding search engine will find anything. It searches the internet and your computer and is one of Windows 10's strong points.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
First off, I have been leaving my computer plugged in all week then unplugging for 1 overnight, is this ok to do?
I don't see any particular issue with doing so. The whole idea of connecting it to AC power is to maintain a battery charge so that you can enjoy the portability of the device by unplugging it.
Some people buy laptops and then realize that they really don't need portability.
If I wanted to turn it off how would I do this
Click the start button (windows logo bottom left of screen on taskbar) select "Power" and then Shut Down.
Right click the same spot and choose "Shutdown or sign out" and then shut down.
or can I just leave it plugged in?
Totally up to you, I would assume in sleep mode or hibernate mode there would be very little power consumption. Although my personal preference is to turn off appliances when I'm not using them.
Can I save the forum to my desktop?
Easily with Internet Explorer Start Button again, All Apps, Windows Accessories, Internet Explorer.
When you are on the page you wish to save to your desktop right click a blank area out to the right near but not on the vertical scroll bar until you see this

Screenshot (18).png

Select the text "Create shortcut" as depicted in the image above then answer yes when you see this

Capture.JPG

Ask a Question