SOLVED New update arriving earlier than normal?

Bif

Reaction score
Win 10 is a great OS, I wish MS would just work on the reliability issues. Forget about introducing all the fancy apps that most users (me) have no use for. With every comes a Tsunami of problems, which is obvious from forum members seeking help.

I was just reading up on just one of the expected changes that come bundled with Redstone 4.
“Diagnostic data viewer” option “On”. This screen notes that this feature can take up to 1GB of disk space to store this data on your PC
I agree, I just want an operating system that continues to work with the least amount of issues possible.. ( insert don't fix what ain't broke here ) or like you say, add useless apps or features that contribute to diminished disc space and or future problems.
But as so many others know, that this is the place to be if problems arise!

Reaction score
Did you download it from the catalog and manually install it, or allow WU to run it?
All of my systems do normal updates. These issues are basically minor, just stability type issues..

But the Mixed Reality download problem has been verified by several folks. They all had to roll back the update but not sure if it is the software involved or the access to some download site due to network instability.

Reaction score
It does seem to me that WU installing can cause an issue with major updates, that's why I have been downloading from the windows catalog and manually install them. I image just before doing this, it's so much faster and easier to restore an image of C:\ than rolling back a WU

Reaction score
It does seem to me that WU installing can cause an issue with major updates, that's why I have been downloading from the windows catalog and manually install them.
Part of what I do is to attempt to bump into problems before other folks do. Living on the edge is part of that process.. ;)

Reaction score
Part of what I do is to attempt to bump into problems before other folks do. Living on the edge is part of that process.. ;)

I can see that, but I think these issues come from the download itself, for the most part, The servers for WU are working hard, while the server holding the Catalog files not so much pressure on it. outside of the major issues that most everyone experiences the rest are random and different things are happening to different people. I don't remember ever having to worry about a WU until 10 came along, now every major update has me in a panic making backups and preparing to run them.

Reaction score
I have seen a comment where Microsoft has pulled the 4090913 update due to problems with Mixed Reality. It does still show up on the Download Catalog but, and I think this was mentioned, as 2018-03.

If anyone is interested, this link provides a fix, maybe. ;)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...or-install-windows-mixed-reality-after-instal
just came from the catalog 13 is the last one Listed before March 13, 2018 - KB4088776 (OS Build 16299.309) hope this fixes the issues people were having.

Reaction score
Clintlgm When your in the catalog, is there an easy way to find the latest or pending update?
It seems to me that unless you have a KB number, you have to wade through pages and pages of updates. Thanks!

Reaction score
just came from the catalog 13 is the last one Listed before March 13, 2018 - KB4088776 (OS Build 16299.309) hope this fixes the issues people were having.
Thanks, I am getting that update now. I will not be able to determine if the update helps since I did not know when an update would be provided, I went ahead and used the procedure described, which did work and Mixed Reality installed so I could play with it yesterday. ;)

Reaction score
Wow, when you click on the See what's in this update for the features update you get a video presentation, quite upbeat... ;) The features update is the one which would not install normally during the Windows Mixed Reality install.

If you do not have the Mixed Reality software installed, you may not see it..

The new update does have this line:

Addresses issue where, after installing KB4090913, the Mixed Reality Portal may fail to initialize. This results in an “SXXXXXXX-X” error or a “We couldn’t download the Windows Mixed Reality Software” message may appear after the software is successfully downloaded.

Last edited:

Ask a Question