SOLVED New update arriving earlier than normal?

Reaction score
KB4090913 seems to be here early morning on the 6th for Central time zone..

I noticed this warning..

After installing this update, some devices may fail to start, and return INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

This issue occurs when the windows update servicing stack incorrectly skips installing the newer version of some critical drivers in the cumulative update and uninstalls the currently active drivers during maintenance.

Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

Workaround steps are available in KB4075150.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well the old machine seems to have lived another day. The update went fast with no apparent glitches.
I find it strange that the update (KB4090913) didn't create a restore point? Other than an image users would have no recourse.

Reaction score
The warning has been in several of the last updates, possibly related to the AMD situation. But the basic suggestion to have backup media is always a good one...

My System Protection options were still disabled so can't comment about the restore points.. Maybe Microsoft is turning that option off so it will have more room on the drive for archives used during an update..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Got it.
It installed OK
Rebooted and everything seems to be fine.

I noticed the same "Known Issues" information "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4090913/march5-2018kb4090913osbuild16299-251
Which seems to be a hold-over from other previous updates which evidently had similar issues.
Especially when you reference the Knowledge Base Article https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...om-an-unbootable-state-after-installing-the-j
How to recover devices from an unbootable state after installing the January 2018 security update
Which references two previous updates having evidently had the same issue.

The best part....
Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
Which leaves me to wonder....
When that "upcoming release" might be "upcoming"?

Reaction score
I am wondering if this update will be installed numerous times like the last one?? KB4074588 failed to install 8 times on one pc and 11 times on another (02/18/2018) although it was installed on both pc's successfully on 02/13/2018.

same thing happened with the KB4058258....

Someone is not getting it.....

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Someone is not getting it.....
That would be ME..... for one.
It's suppose to address issues with the INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE
But
It's also listed as a known issue, so......
Color me confused.

Reaction score
"color me confused"
A new word for the dictionary, I feel__
Microsfted.

Reaction score
It's odd that KB4090913 is listed as 2018-02 Cumulative Update for Windows on my PC.

Reaction score
I have installed on 2 desktops one native Windows 10 and one upgraded from Windows 8.1 and one notebook native Win 10 with no issues. all three are Pro 64 bit and UEFI. I downloaded from the catalog on Monday the 5th

Reaction score
I am seeing some minor problems on several of my systems. Things like App windows opening but nothing else and have to be restarted, Mail freezing and has to be restarted.

Edge seems to have lost if forward and back arrows on the side but I have not tried a touchscreen for that.

Right now, and we may know for sure later today, folks trying to download and install the Mixed Reality software are not able to do that and it is being suggested to roll back this update to correct the situation..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Nothing like that happening on my system that I've been able to see.

Reaction score
Saltgrass Nothing noticeable here. I don't use edge, however, I tested it and the forward/back arrows are working. Edge still seems painfully slow compared to my regular F.F. browser. MS don't seem to have improved Edge in any ways.

Bif

Reaction score
Interestingly, it has yet to arrive on the central prairies where I call home... possibly a blessing.
As usual, I'm in no rush.

Reaction score
Win 10 is a great OS, I wish MS would just work on the reliability issues. Forget about introducing all the fancy apps that most users (me) have no use for. With every comes a Tsunami of problems, which is obvious from forum members seeking help.

I was just reading up on just one of the expected changes that come bundled with Redstone 4.
“Diagnostic data viewer” option “On”. This screen notes that this feature can take up to 1GB of disk space to store this data on your PC

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am seeing some minor problems on several of my systems. Things like App windows opening but nothing else and have to be restarted, Mail freezing and has to be restarted.

Edge seems to have lost if forward and back arrows on the side but I have not tried a touchscreen for that.

Right now, and we may know for sure later today, folks trying to download and install the Mixed Reality software are not able to do that and it is being suggested to roll back this update to correct the situation..

Did you download it from the catalog and manually install it, or allow WU to run it?

Ask a Question