New Windows Re-Install - How to tell if 30 day grace period or active with license?

Reaction score
I am selling an old laptop so I did a secure disk wipe and clean reinstall of Windows 10 pro (was using this before).

In Settings/ Activation it says "Windows is activated with a digital license"
I was expecting that I would need to buy a new license so am a little confused.
I did not enter an email for microsoft account.

1- I know you get 30 days (or 60?) of free windows, so will this un-activate after 30 days or am I good?

2 - Does windows know that its the same machine on the same license as before?

3 - Is there a way to tell if you are on the 30 day grace period/ license or not?

Last edited:
Reaction score
1. correct, but only if there has never been a Windows 10 on it.
2. yes, as a hardware token of your laptop is stored on the Microsoft servers. this happens usually when an upgrade was performed prior. If you install the HOME version, you get your grace period.
3. it usually shows in the setting under [activation]

Reaction score
I am selling an old laptop so I did a secure disk wipe and clean reinstall of Windows 10 pro (was using this before).

In Settings/ Activation it says "Windows is activated with a digital license"
I was expecting that I would need to buy a new license so am a little confused.
I did not enter an email for microsoft account.

1- I know you get 30 days (or 60?) of free windows, so will this un-activate after 30 days or am I good?

2 - Does windows know that its the same machine on the same license as before?

3 - Is there a way to tell if you are on the 30 day grace period/ license or not?
Normally, a license sold with a machine, stays with the machine. Most laptops are sold with Windows pre-installed. If yours was, I think it still has a valid Windows license even if you wipe the hard disk, reinstall Windows, and sell the machine.

Best bet is to call Microsoft Customer Service and ask. Be sure to have the computer available when you call as they may have some questions about the copy installed that you will have to get off the computer for them.

Reaction score
‘Windows is activated with a digital license’ means that MS has recognised your laptop and permanently activated your windows. It won’t deactivate.

It’s a nice little feature which saves quite a lot of hassle! Once activated once, you don’t have to worry about that anymore even when reinstalling (unless you’re replacing some HW, then your system might not be recognised by MS anymore)

Reaction score
Go to setting, updates and on the left side look for where it says Activation. Click that and if you had 10 pro it should say, activated with a digital license because it is stored in the BIOS.

Ask a Question