SOLVED Windows will only go into boot menu after installing cloned SSD

Reaction score
I recently got a Lenovo Thinkpad E440 with a SanDisk 256 GB SSD in it, and I wanted to clone that to a Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB SSD using Samsung Data Migration software, which I have done more than once in the past on other laptops without a problem. The cloning seemed to complete ok, so I swapped the SSD's, but when I powered up the laptop it only went into the boot menu and would go no further. I swapped the original SanDisk SSD back into it, and it booted up with no problem. I wonder if there's some setting that needs to be turned off either before or after cloning. TIA for any ideas or suggestions.

Reaction score
I looked at the cloned disk in Disk Management, and you are right. The Boot, Page File and Crash Dump were not cloned to the new SSD. I've never had a problem using Samsung Data Migration, so I tried Macrium Reflect and the same result happened. Is there some setting to change that would allow these sections to be cloned? TIA

Reaction score
I looked at the cloned disk in Disk Management, and you are right. The Boot, Page File and Crash Dump were not cloned to the new SSD. I've never had a problem using Samsung Data Migration, so I tried Macrium Reflect and the same result happened. Is there some setting to change that would allow these sections to be cloned? TIA
Yes, it's all in the setup of the Image; I'll link a video for you you need to select all the partitions to create an exact Image.https://reflect.macrium.com/webtutorial/How_to_create_a_disk_image.asp

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. After looking at the second video, I tried cloning one more time. I noticed there were two optional ways to clone, but I don't remember what they were called, so I chose the one that sounded like more would be cloned. After completing the cloning, I checked with Disk Management and saw the things I mentioned in the first post were still not there. I thought about it for awhile and decided What The Hey and swapped the SSDs. Surprise, surprise, the laptop booted right up with no problem and is running great. Thanks again.

Ask a Question