No boot device problem

Reaction score
A friend called me last night saying water was spilled on his laptop (running Windows 10) and that it would not turn (on). He brought it over and it would not power up. I said I would look at it and he left. I then lifted the lid and saw that the machine did, in fact, have power. I saw the following on the screen:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (building 083)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

This product is covered by one or more of the following patents:
US6,570,884, US6,115,776 and US6,327,625

Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Series v1.38 (06/16/15)
PXE-E61: Media teat failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine

===================================================================================

I took the hard drive out of the machine and connected it to a laptop of mine (running Windows 7) using a USB adapter. The HDD will power up and my computer can see it. However, the drive has Bitlocker encryption and I cannot read anything on it.

I did see some water in the computer upon taking it apart and left it overnight to dry. I put most of it back together today, turned it on, and got the same message I posted above. I looked up the PXE-E61 message online. Pursuant to that, I went into the BIOS. The computer can see the hard drive. It accurately has its size showing as 1TB. I then enabled the onboard NIC so that PXE boot was disabled. The machine rebooted and this time it simply says no boot device found. I went back into BIOS and re-enabled PXE boot so now I am back to the original message.

I would GREATLY appreciate any help, suggestions, and or advice that people can offer. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your assumption about the PXE message is correct. The system is not seeing the normal boot drive and defaulting to a secondary.

If you had an option to get a boot device menu or go into the bios and check what devices are available for boot. If the drive has not been corrupted, you should be able to set it or a Windows Boot Manager as primary boot device and get the system back.

Failing that, you might try booting to a USB drive that is configured for recovery or install media.

Info as to the system model and configuration might also help. For instance, is it a newer system running the UEFI configuration?

Reaction score
if the drive is telling you that it is encrypted with bit locker all you need if the Key to unlock it.? Whoever put bit locker on it would have the key to unlock it.

Ask a Question