No mouse driver and left button not working after upgrade.

Reaction score
Hello!
I don´t know if this is the right topic, but I've been looking for a fix all over the place with no success.
I upgraded to windows 10.
I have an old Dell optic/laser mouse I absolutely love and don´t want to change (I did buy another one, but it has other problems, too).
As soon as I upgraded to Windows 10, the left button of my mouse stopped working.
In the device manager, I only have one entry "HID compatible device". When I try to update the driver, I get an error message saying Windows cannot locate the software for my device and that I should contact the supplier (Dell). There is no driver on the website.
I cannot use the left click, so I cannot solve the problem from inside my PC with the mouse. I have to use another mouse and the driver does not appear for that one either. It works, sometimes, but it is impossible to update or see the driver.
Can anyone help me get my Dell mouse to work again?
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Can anyone help me get my Dell mouse to work again? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE said:
Welcome to the forum, Cipriana,

I am afraid I don't have the answer for you. But I can maybe point you in the right direction, while you wait for others on this forum to respond.

Have you looked at 'Similar Threads' (below while in this thread) in this forum?

I often find answers on this forum as well:
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...b635a1&usg=AFQjCNGRZybKOvv414a0pw4jNR3NtwoeFw

Good Luck!
Cheers, allan

Reaction score
Cipriana Try shutting down the PC and rebooting with the old mouse connected.
Nothing to lose at this point.

Reaction score
Try clicking on Start > setting > Devices > Mouse and Touchpad > Related Settings > Click on the right hand side tab "Hardware and check if your mouse is listed under devices click on properties What information does it tell you it should does say "The device is working properly"

Reaction score
Try clicking on Start > setting > Devices > Mouse and Touchpad > Related Settings > Click on the right hand side tab "Hardware and check if your mouse is listed under devices click on properties What information does it tell you it should does say "The device is working properly"
Yes, it says the device is working properly. And that´s another thing. My start and all other windows-10 related icons don´t work either (task bar), only the icons I had with windows 7. But that is a whole other tango.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Would you please test your computer by booting into Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking (ignore any pop ups that might say something like "This app can't run" or similar and just see if your mouse buttons work properly.
Since you do not have a functioning mouse, this will be a bit more difficult than it should be with only the keyboard, but...
Use Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combination, use tab until you see the power icon highlight, press the space bar, then the arrow keys to select "restart", hold the shift key and while holding that strike the enter key.
You may have to still use the tab key, arrow keys and enter keys to navigate to the advance trouble shooting options until you can select the "Startup settings" Icon to get to choice number 4 for Safe Mode or 5 for Safe Mode with Networking (which might be the better choice) but it should all work if you're patient

Reaction score
Would you please test your computer by booting into Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking (ignore any pop ups that might say something like "This app can't run" or similar and just see if your mouse buttons work properly.
Since you do not have a functioning mouse, this will be a bit more difficult than it should be with only the keyboard, but...
Use Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combination, use tab until you see the power icon highlight, press the space bar, then the arrow keys to select "restart", hold the shift key and while holding that strike the enter key.
You may have to still use the tab key, arrow keys and enter keys to navigate to the advance trouble shooting options until you can select the "Startup settings" Icon to get to choice number 4 for Safe Mode or 5 for Safe Mode with Networking (which might be the better choice) but it should all work if you're patient
Thanks for the support Trouble, but that didn't work either.
This seems to be common problem among W10 users, and there are no known solutions. I think I will just have to buy a W10 compatible mouse, if they exist. None of the two mice I have work.

Ask a Question