SOLVED no sound on windows 10

Reaction score
After a successful upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I discovered that YouTube would not play. Fixed the video problem by running in compatibility mode .. BUT then noticed there was no sound from either speakers or headphones on my laptop. No Windows sounds, iTunes, nothing worked. Could this be a setting inadvertently turned "off' somewhere ? Up until I got YouTube working the sound was fine with Windows 10. I just don't know where to look to rectify this. Rebooting etc doesn't make any difference. I don't suspect a hardware fault, it must be an OS corruption or something. Any help much appreciated.

Reaction score
There were a few times when I did an upgrade or reinstall, I lost the sound and I had to reinstall the HD audio driver.
My Acer needs Realtek HD audio driver and my Dell needs Sigmatel HD audio driver.

Find out from your owner manual or your computer manufacturer which audio driver you need and reinstall it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
After a successful upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I discovered that YouTube would not play. Fixed the video problem by running in compatibility mode .. BUT then noticed there was no sound from either speakers or headphones on my laptop. No Windows sounds, iTunes, nothing worked. Could this be a setting inadvertently turned "off' somewhere ? Up until I got YouTube working the sound was fine with Windows 10. I just don't know where to look to rectify this. Rebooting etc doesn't make any difference. I don't suspect a hardware fault, it must be an OS corruption or something. Any help much appreciated.
There were a few times when I did an upgrade or reinstall, I lost the sound and I had to reinstall the HD audio driver.
My Acer needs Realtek HD audio driver and my Dell needs Sigmatel HD audio driver.

Find out from your owner manual or your computer manufacturer which audio driver you need and reinstall it.
Thanks. I did try an update of the audio driver and the problem was solved. Curiously I had 2 drivers shown on Device Manager, one generic and one I think may be connected with the SrS audio enhancement. When I updated this driver, the "SrS" one vanished and I have now only the generic Microsoft driver remaining. But .. the sound works now ! Presumably the SrS enhancement feature has now gone as the control panel for this has vanished. I did find somewhere on the Net that Windows 10 doesn't support it. Sort of wish Id stuck with Windows 7.

Ask a Question