Not new news but worth reposting in my opinion.............

Reaction score
I did not say anything. I posted an article.

Read the article again, this time slowly.

Points to pay attention to :
1.( excerpt)....... If you install this build of the Windows 10 Insider Preview on a PC and it doesn’t automatically activate, you can enter the product key from Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 used to activate the prior Windows version on the same device to activate Windows 10 by going to Settings > Update & security > Activation and selecting Change Product Key............

I did exactly that. I installed build 10565 in a new partition with no OS in it. It asked for product key which I don't have of course. I clicked " I don't have a product key" and continued. After installation completed I activated it with my Win 8.1 product key.

2. ( excerpt).............If you do a clean install of Windows 10 by booting off the media, you can also enter the product key from prior Windows versions on qualifying devices during setup......................

That means when it asks for product key, you can enter the prior Windows version product key.
Personally, I would rather use the SKIP option and continue. Let the system activate itself after installation as we all have been doing since July 29th.

3. ( excerpt ) .....If I’m reading this correctly and not missing anything, it means that you can use any Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 product key to activate an upgrade or clean install of Windows 10...............

4. (excerpt)......But the thing is, if this new policy is what I believe it is, this guy’s wish has come true: He can use the product key from the Windows 7 license and just clean install Windows 10. There’s no need to upgrade multiple times and then clean install.

Last edited:

Ask a Question