Notification Sounds

Reaction score
I started getting the "Windows default devise connect Sound" even when my computer is sitting idle. it just happens all by
itself. I called Dell Premium support where I have a subscription and this is what he did:

He went into the sound icon in my task bar and right clicked on it. Clicked on SOUNDS and changed the scheme from
Windows Default to NO SOUNDS.

This cut out all sounds that the computer makes and now when I plug and unplug a flash drive or anything into a usb port
I do not get any sound to let me know that the devise has connected or unconnected.

I told him that my computer has not started doing this until a day or so ago and it just does it on it's on continually without me
doing or clicking on anything. He said that it was due to a windows update. Looks like if they can't solve the problem they
just blame it on a windows update. I left a survey message that I was not happy with their results because now he solved
one problem but created another one that I did not want stopped. Now my computer will not make any notification sounds of
any kind. Will still play music and browser audio.

Does anyone know what my problem could be and how to fix it properly, not just cover it up?

Thanks

Tom

Reaction score
In Control Panel one could open Sounds and on the Sounds tab adjust what sounds are associated with what action. I like to always turn off or assign No Sound for the Start Navigation action, eliminate the irritating noise when clicking to do something. If the sounds have been disabled it should be possible to re-enable them. The Control Panel item can also be reached by putting mmsys.cpl in the Search box and double-clicking the entry for C:\Windows\SysWOW64.

Might also check the Power Options, could be Windows is turning Off then On some port or device.

Reaction score
Problem solved finally. I had replaced a Pioneer BDR 206 with a Pioneer BDR 2209 (BDU 209) on 3/30. Recently it quit reading a disc at about 90%. I had not had it 30 days so I called Newegg.com to return it for replacement.
I had it in a Roswell 3.0 external enclosure. When I removed it the constant alarming no longer happens.

I thought it had something to do with a USB connection because the notification sound was the one that the
Windows default sound represented a USB drive disconnect.

When my new replacement drive comes I will hook it up in the same USB enclosure which has been working
for at least 2 years. If it does not make this sound again then it was the drive. If it does then I will get a new
enclosure.

It is quiet as a mouse now. Just makes windows default sounds when it is suppose to.

I will post either way so it will help anyone with a similar problem. Hope in a few days I will be
able to mark this post solved. Keep fingers crossed.

Tom

Last edited:

Ask a Question