SOLVED Notifications.

Reaction score
Hello forums,

I don't seem to be receiving any notifications in the notifications box on my taskbar.

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎12/‎13/‎2020
OS build 19042.685
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

I'm wondering if perhaps I turned something off in my settings that should be on.
What should I check in my settings menu or what needs to be on to receive notifications.

In Systems / Notifications & Actuations everything is on.

In Privacy / Notifications everything is on.

In Privacy / Background Apps / Settings is on and Windows Security is on.

In Privacy / App Diagnostics is on.

In Privacy / File System is on.

I figure I should have gotten some notifications and my Windows 10 is up to date.

Thanks.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Personally, I turn all that crap off. I don't need to be notified of incoming emails or anything else for that matter....I'll check my email when I want to as well as the rest of the stuff.

I figure I should have gotten some notifications and my Windows 10 is up to date.
AFAIK....that will never happen. Once you run the system update manually or the OS updates itself is all the notification one gets.

Reaction score
I have most stuff turned off and I manually check for updates every morning first thing.

I don't have emails set to notify me and like you I check emails when I want.

OK I guess I won't manually check updates for a week or so and see if I receive a notification.

Since I installed the 20H2 version upgrade I haven't received any notifications and prior to the 20H2 version upgrade I received notifications every now and then.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well after playing around with settings and still no results I've come to the conclusion that there just ain't no updates to be installed.

Today MalwareBytes trial expired and low and behold I received two notifications alerting me that MalwareBytes expired and that I needed to start my Windows Defender which explains why I wasn't receiving any Windows Defender notifications.

All appears to be back to normal again so all is well.

Thanks for the space to complain. :)

poorguy

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Today MalwareBytes trial expired and low and behold I received two notifications alerting me that MalwareBytes expired and that I needed to start my Windows Defender which explains why I wasn't receiving any Windows Defender notifications.
There's a setting in Malwarebytes to turn off that control as the only AV. I don't know why malwarebytes put that in there in the first place. Once you turn that off then Defender will be the default AV and the trial or paid version of Malwarebytes will still run in the background along side Defender.

Reaction score
Apparently when MalwareBytes installs rather it's a full paid version or the free 14 day trial version it turns Windows Defender off and I never realized it.

Anyway I've got Windows Defender back on and MalwareBytes is the 100% free version now without Realtime protection.

Reaction score
I haven't used malwarebytes for many months but there was a free edition, which I believe still exists.
But, if you follow the advice in this thread, then Malwarebytes has, in any case, reverted to the free edition. This means that it is no longer running in real time.
In order to get the same benefits as before, you need to run it from time to time manually. For me, using it like that, it didn't catch anything that Defender had not previously found, so it was a waste of space.

Reaction score
I use to run the free version always and never had any issues with it turning off the Windows Defender.

These days the only download for MalwareBytes is the free 14 day trial version.

I'll leave it for now however if it decides to revert back to a Realtime trial version without alerting me and it will be a removed product.

It's possible that MalwareBytes gave me an alert and perhaps I missed it.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
These days the only download for MalwareBytes is the free 14 day trial version.
Not true...there's the free and paid.....Malwarebytes just forces the trial version on you when the laymen downloaded it with going through the motions of reading all the fine print.....but you can uncheck the box for it.

I'm like Dave.....if it's not running in real time then there's really no need for it. Granted both do a great job and one will find something the other doesn't and vice versa.

Reaction score
Looks like he is correct. Just downloaded the latest, for the heck of it. There is no longer an option other than the premium (paid) version.

Ask a Question