November cumulative update is here KB4048955

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Updates' started by Tim Locke, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Tim Locke

Tim Locke

complete with yet another update for Flash and the Novemeber malicious Software tool.

Tim Locke, Nov 14, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Tim Locke

Norton

Have you ever seen a program like Flash with so many security updates.

Norton, Nov 14, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. Tim Locke

Tim Locke

Finally here are the details. FWIW the update loaded cleanly and quickly for me.

This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:

• Addressed issue that causes the Mixed Reality Portal to stop responding on launch.
    • Addressed issue that causes a black screen to appear when you switch between windowed and full-screen modes when playing some Microsoft DirectX games.
    • Addressed a compatibility issue that occurs when you play back a Game DVR PC recording using Android or iOS devices.
    • Addressed issue where the functional keys stop working on Microsoft Designer Keyboards.
    • Addressed issue to ensure that certain USB devices and head-mounted displays (HMD) are enumerated properly after the system wakes up from Connected Standby.
    • Addressed issue where the virtual smart card doesn't assess the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) vulnerability correctly.
    • Addressed issue where Get-StorageJob returns nothing when there are storage jobs running on the machine.
    • Addressed issue where applications based on the Microsoft JET Database Engine (Microsoft Access 2007 and older or non-Microsoft applications) fail when creating or opening Microsoft Excel .xls files. The error message is: “Unexpected error from external database driver (1). (Microsoft JET Database Engine)".
    • Addressed issue where application tiles are missing from the Start menu. Additionally, applications that the Store app show as installed don't appear on the application list of the Start menu. Computers that have Internet connectivity and upgrade on or after November 14, 2017 will receive this preventative solution and avoid this issue. Machines that lack network connectivity or have already encountered this issue should follow the steps in the Microsoft Answers thread “Missing apps after installing Windows 10 Fall Creators Update”. Microsoft will release and document an additional solution in a future release.
    • Addressed issue where Microsoft Edge cannot create a WARP support processand appears to stop responding for up to 3 seconds during a wait timeout. During the timeout period, users cannot navigate or interact with the requested page.
    • Security updates to Microsoft Scripting Engine, Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows kernel, Internet Explorer, and Windows Media Player.

Tim Locke, Nov 14, 2017
    Wolfie likes this.
  4. Tim Locke

Bif

Presently downloading via updates, wish me luck!

Bif, Nov 14, 2017
  5. Tim Locke

Bif

Yes..this program called Windows ;-)

Bif, Nov 14, 2017
    Wolfie likes this.
  6. Tim Locke

Norton

Every Monday now is backup day for me now.

Norton, Nov 14, 2017
  7. Tim Locke

Bif

Yes, I must get in that habit again..got a tad complacent lately..

Bif, Nov 14, 2017
  8. Tim Locke

Bighorn

I got a flashup that said no suitable display adapter was found, probably because the update that mentions AMD is not fully for the CPU. I have an AMD CPU but an nVidia GEFORCE GT710 display adapter. New ASUS computer a year ago, came with an add-in card instead of onboard/built-in adapter. Haven't yet built or repaired a computer using the newer AMD-owned ATI cards.

Bighorn, Nov 14, 2017
  9. Tim Locke

Saltgrass

Anyone think Win 10 will be out of Beta when they start charging for the upgrades?

Saltgrass, Nov 15, 2017
  10. Tim Locke

Grizzly

the cumulative update went through pretty darn fast. Regarding the flash update: MS still has to provide it even though it is already phased out but still in use cause so many webmasters can't get off their lazy a**es and get rid of flash in their websites.....

Grizzly, Nov 15, 2017
  11. Tim Locke

davehc

imho. The suggestion was first made a few months ago, on anther forum, including the added comment that the Os would eventually require payment to lease or purchase.
    It isn't going to happen. MS will still make satisfactory sales, as OEMs or brand new package purchases, as the ongoing new generation come along. To start charging, at this stage, with the competition, mainly Linux, improving all the time, would be, financially, a suicidal move.

davehc, Nov 15, 2017
  12. Tim Locke

Wolfie

I don't think so Dave, they are making a mint out of advertising and software sales from Windows Store!. :)

Wolfie, Nov 15, 2017
  13. Tim Locke

davehc

As I surmised in my post - It isn't going to happen!

davehc, Nov 15, 2017
  14. Tim Locke

Bif

Well that took this side of forever to complete! Started the updates yesterday at 3:30 pm CDT and let it run all night.
    There were a lot of updates to install as I was one build behind, so I'm assuming that was the cause for the lengthy process. Woke up this morning and she laptop was showing my lock and which time I just shut-er down without signing in. Will wait post first cuppa coffee and breakfast before sparking it up to see what's what..(if anything!)
    Just curious, what is everyone showing as the "new" build #?

Bif, Nov 15, 2017
  15. Tim Locke

Norton

Bif I'm on the Grandsons PC; I just restarted his PC after the update. His build is showing 1709 OS build 16299.64

Norton, Nov 15, 2017
  16. Tim Locke

Bif

Thanks Norton, that's what I have as well...it boggles the mind thinking I tried twice for the prior update and both times a no-go...then over a dozen updates all at once and a successful 9 hour installation.
    All seems copacetic thus far, no major changes that I can see.
    Just grateful it didn't go south and I awoke to blue/black screen...glass half full.

Bif, Nov 15, 2017
  17. Tim Locke

Bif

Actually I spoke too soon, seems that for some unknown reason the new build changed all of my photo files and music files to "Read Only".. resulting in an inability to edit them...I promptly changed that!
    Why those dirty so-and-so's!!

Bif, Nov 15, 2017
  18. Tim Locke

Bif

Hmmmm...
    After changing the attributes of my photos folder and unchecking the "Read Only" box, I'm still getting the same error when trying to edit photos in Picasa 3..which incidentally was working fine prior to the update.
    This is the error I'm getting..never had a problem in roughly 20 years with this program..

Capture.JPG

Bif, Nov 15, 2017
  19. Tim Locke

davehc

I got as lucky as Tim. About 15 minutes from start to finish - with a very slow internet speed.

davehc, Nov 15, 2017
  20. Tim Locke

Bif

Update:
    It appears that the update corrupted the database, I've uninstalled and reinstalled and re built the database and all seems good..............for now.

Bif, Nov 15, 2017
    1. Advertisements