NVidia Woes -- with Windows 10

Reaction score
I joined the Windows 10 Insider program in January 2015. My test machine was a Dell Optiplex 745 with significant upgrades, included RAM, WiFi, three Dell 19" monitors, etc., and a "Sparkle" PC 8400GS 512MB DDR3 PCI Graphics Card (700037), which was, at the core, a NVIDIA-powered device. I had the machine's hardware configured before I started the Insider program, and at first only the display powered by the Dell motherboard's display circuit worked -- the other two remained black. But, after about three months, I did yet another update and the other two monitors sprang to live and have been working perfectly until about 8-10 days age. Another Windows 10 update. All three monitors worked fine. So I queried the system for updates, and besides the normal security update, there were two updates for the NVIDIA device -- I was excited, so I let the update run (well, I really had no choice).

The next thing I noticed was that the screens were black. Then the first NVIDIA screen flashed white. Then it had a thin blue line at the bottom. Then all three were black, and the hard disk activity light went to sleep: nothing was happening. I tried rebooting several times, hoping for a different outcome.

Before I did the update (the one with the two NVIDIA files) I did an Image Backup and made a Restart disk, so I tried various recovery sequences to see if I could get anything to work. Alas, nothing worked. Black screens. I then went my Windows 7 machine and downloaded Windows 10 and created a bootable ISO of the latest from Redmond. I tried to install it, and got the same results. Yikes!

Now I think my only recourse is to remove the NVIDIA-powered graphics card and start over.

Any suggestions? Is there anyway I can block a bad Microsoft update patch?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The only thing I might suggest would be to go to http://www.geforce.com/drivers
Drill down to the 8 series drivers, select your specific card 8400 GS and you operating system and download and install the latest 341.92 driver.

Capture.JPG

Perform a custom clean install and avoid everything related to 3D.
Basically just the main driver, PhysX and depending on whether or not you want it the "Experience" service running all the time (up to you).
I also strongly recommend in advance of doing this use Display Driver Uninstaller from here (IN SAFE MODE). To remove any and all remnants of the current existing installed drivers.
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=183&sid=215b4cb8b56b0333dbbaa0b33a41e7db

Reaction score
Have you tried disconnecting the extra two monitors?

As Trouble says you probably need to get into SAFE MODE and the system should work. You should be able to get into SAFE MODE using the Recovery Media.

There are two types of video driver updates. One is a normal Nvidia type and the other a WDDM version.

Can you attach a monitor to the non-Nvidia output?

Reaction score
Have you tried disconnecting the extra two monitors?

As Trouble says you probably need to get into SAFE MODE and the system should work. You should be able to get into SAFE MODE using the Recovery Media.

There are two types of video driver updates. One is a normal Nvidia type and the other a WDDM version.

Can you attach a monitor to the non-Nvidia output?
I think I can get into SAFE MODE via the Recovery disk. And my primary display is on the motherboard (a Dell) which is not a NVIDIA device. So, here is the remaining issue: once I plug in the monitors (and, if I need to, reinstall the NVIDIA video card) how do I keep Windows 10 from "helping" me by updating the device drives automatically? Is there anyway to block device driver updates?

Reaction score
It appears Microsoft has removed options to stop specific updates. Trouble had a way to stop all updates but he will have to address that.

I always had problems with Multi-displays on Windows 10 so I never upgraded my gaming system. You seem to be able to use the Intel Display adapter on your system so can you use just the Nvidia on one monitor?

Are you using a combination of Intel and Nvidia for the three monitors?

I am not familiar with the brand of Nvidia card you are using. Have you checked to see if there is a firmware upgrade for it? If the card is older, have you given any thought to upgrading it?

Reaction score
I use the motherboard display adapter for my main monitor and the NVIDIA based display adapter for the other two, for a total of three. I had the latest NVIDIA device driver for it (installed it just 3-4 months ago); alas, the "update" download of the two Microsoft files must have replaced the operating NVIDIA drivers. I don't do gaming, so I have no need for a high performance display adapter. I'm thinking I may need to replace it with a pair of inexpensive display adapters that (1) are supported by Microsoft and (2) each have dual outputs (since I have three monitors, and wish to keep that configuration).

ON ANOTHER NOTE: I'm typing this on a Windows 7-based machine, my main machine, which has four monitors. They are driven by two NVIDIA display adapters:
  • nVidia GeForce 8800GT, 512MB, SLI
  • EVGA 512-P3-N954-TR GeForce 9500GT 512MB
I want to go ahead and upgrade to Windows 10; alas, I hesitate because of my rotten experience with Microsoft/NVIDIA on my current Windows 10 machine.

Your thoughts?

Reaction score
If your question was directed at me, I have no experience with running the Intel Adapter, which is part of the processor, and the Nvidia adapter together. At one time there was a push to use switching to let the machine decide which adapter to use depending on performance needs, but I think only some laptops are doing that now.

If you check the Device Manager, you should see both the Intel and Nvidia Display adapters and each one has it own drivers. But it appears something about you configuration is having a problem with certain drivers....

What will end up working for you will have to be decided by your experiences. I run two GTX 680s on one system and 2 GTX 980s on my gaming machine.. I believe the newer cards have the ability to run 3 monitors but you would have to check.

Ask a Question