OCR software suggestions

Reaction score
Got and Epson scanner and would like to scan some family history documents in which some of the pages include pictures, etc. I have tried OCR software in the past and found usually doesn't work well so I just scanned the page as JPG but would like to scan to PDF.Epson included some including ABBY. Haven't tried ABBYY yet. I do have Readiris 14 from a few years ago but can't figure how to make it work well as pages would require excessive editing. Maybe it's just I need more time working with it. Is there anything that doesn't require a steep learning curve and works well?

thanks

Reaction score
Most of the .pdf files I create are with Adobe Acrobat, the paid-for program that the free Adobe Reader/Acrobat Reader can view. There are others such as FoxIT, Corel Fusion, Lightning PDF, etc., that are somewhat cheaper. I need to do the same as you but believe scanning and saving as PDF rather than .jpg will work. And OCR really is not needed for the purpose unless needing to capture text to paste into another document.

Reaction score
I am not familiar with Epson scanner but my Canon scans as jpg but can export (save) it as pdf file directly without any third party programs.
ABBYY is just another OCR software (little more comfortable though). If you need to convert a picture (scan) to pdf, I can recommend Faststone capture. I use this all the time....
website is faststone.org

Reaction score
Reaction score
Epson FF-640 on Win-10. That said I'm trying ABBYY SPRINT that was included and so far I like it. Don't know what the difference is between SPRINT and Current ABBYY 14 and if I should upgrade for the $140?
The only thing I can add is that programs included with devices are usually from third-parties and are seldom the full version, more of a starter version to whet one's interest, leaves it up to the user to decide what to use. I seldom use OCR for capturing text as I haven't the need, mostly want to use a .pdf creation software to save pages from other/different sources. Some or most word processors and spreadsheet programs [and others] can create such files.

Ask a Question