Office 365, Office 2010 and SPAM

Reaction score
-On wife's PC(win10) she gets bombed w/spam and OL 2010 doesn't do well filtering them out. Is 365 better at filtering them?

- My PC which I'll move to win11 sometime but from what I read wouldn't run 2010 anymore...
- That said I only have 2 options, purchased 365 for on each PC($249ea) or use subscription service and install on all 3 PC's, 1- notebook, several IOS stuff(2 iPhone and 2 iPad.
- So looks like I'm thinking of the subscription service($99/yr)
- We mainly only use outlook and word apps
-along with trend going cloud storage can emails and documents be also stored locally beside cloud?
- Guess pop mail is gone with 365?

-BTW wife likes to keep her emails and presently has about 3000+... not sure why she saves them(LOL)?

thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
can emails and documents be also stored locally beside cloud?
Sure. The Outlook component of Microsoft 365 can still use a .pst file to store email locally.
Guess pop mail is gone with 365?
I have four separate email accounts currently configure in the latest version of Outlook. Three of which are configured as POP3 / SMTP only one as IMAP.
BTW wife likes to keep her emails and presently has about 3000+... not sure why she saves them(LOL)?
When setting up an account with the new version of the Outlook software, you can direct it to use an existing PST file.

Reaction score
If I keep the POP3 / SMTP and .pst file how is the mail synchronized between my other PC's and Iphone/Ipad? Is the .pst file locating on PC's or cloud or both?

And is SPAM filtering any better than 2010?

thankyou

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is the .pst file locating on PC's or cloud or both?
.pst files (personal store) are "personal" and as such are stored by default locally.
If I keep the POP3 / SMTP and .pst file how is the mail synchronized between my other PC's and Iphone/Ipad?
There is no "synchronization" with .pst files employed, it's generally first come first serve and is impacted by your settings and whether or not you have configured the account to leave a copy on the server.
And is SPAM filtering any better than 2010?
Out of the box, it is a tiny bit better although 2010 was a long time ago and my memory doesn't go back that far.
I spend a fair amount of time configuring "rules" to handle specific senders or content, sending it to the Deleted Items folder where a simple right click -> Empty Folder does it for me.

Ask a Question