Windows 10 error (cannot open Office 365 files or Adobe pdf files) - Windows cannot find 'C:\Users/...

Reaction score
Hi, may I ask for help to resolve this issue please, as I am unable to open any Office 365 or Adobe PDF files on my laptop, currently as seen in image attachment windows-error-ss-1.

Two days ago, I attempted to fix my touchpad which was not working and the fix worked. During this restart it began a Disk C repair for which I received no notification so this came as a surprise. Once completed, Avast Premium opened up and said the Disk had been repaired successfully.

Next, I had uninstalled Avast Premium as the free trial had just expired. Now, when I attempt to open any docx, ppt, csv, or pdf it states the following error:

Windows cannot find 'C:\Users/ryana\Desktop\FILE NAME.docx'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

Possible solutions so far:

1. Looked into taking ownership the files but there was no issue (owned by myself not System)
2. Performed clean boot
3. Ran Malware Bytes, CCleaner, RogueKiller, Advanced SystemCare to find the issue:
- CCleaner displayed the following message:
The Application referenced at: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_463164d40c3d26ce\igfxEM.exe could not be located. These references are often left behind after uninstalling software.

- RogueKiller found some issues as seen in image attachment windows-error-ss-2

4. Run the System File Checker tools (no issues found)

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.17763.1
Image Version: 10.0.17763.437
[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow
Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Any ideas? I appreciate your time and help with this.

Thanks,
Ryan

Ask a Question