Windows crashes my PC. What services/tasks can be disabled as a process of trial and error?

Reaction score
Last year, Windows 10 crashed my PC repeatedly. See the thread below:
Is it a hardware problem which has nothing to do with Windows? - Windows 10 Forums
This year, I have used Linux instead of Windows 10, which will only be used in VirtualBox occasionally.
So far, Linux has never crashed my PC, while Windows 10 sometimes does in VirtualBox.
I suspect my motherboard, GIGABYTE GA-H81M-DS2, is not fully compatible with Windows 10. I want to disable some (or most) Windows services/scheduled tasks as a test and see whether the problem can be fixed. Assuming I use Windows 10 only for my Canon scanner and PenPower writing pad, what services/tasks can be disabled?

Reaction score
The page quoted does mention DX11, believe it's in the second paragraph:
"Next Gen Intel® 8 Series Platform
The latest Intel 8 Series platform offers significant improvements in performance and power consumption with the latest 4th generation Intel® Core™ processors and Intel® H81 chipsets. As well as a boost in overall productivity, the latest HD4600 Intel® processor graphics provide significantly higher frame rates in the latest DX11 3D game titles. "

That's a hardware issue and may be overcomeable by using an Add-in PCIe X16 graphics card that supports DX12. But then a check with GigaByte may list a new BIOS that provides that support, only they can tell that. Things that work in Linux shows their programmers do a pretty good job, I like the LTS [Long Term Support] into 2023.

Reaction score
That's a hardware issue and may be overcomeable by using an Add-in PCIe X16 graphics card that supports DX12. But then a check with GigaByte may list a new BIOS that provides that support
There is only one BIOS that applies to my motherboard, GIGABYTE GA-H81M-DS2 (rev. 3.0).
I already wasted money in buying another CPU, which might have overcome the issue but actually did not, so I am not willing to waste money in buying another thing which may or may not overcome the issue. Also, I never play games on Windows 10, and 3D acceleration is disabled (by default) in VirtualBox.

Ask a Question