Windows crashes my PC. What services/tasks can be disabled as a process of trial and error?

Reaction score
Last year, Windows 10 crashed my PC repeatedly. See the thread below:
Is it a hardware problem which has nothing to do with Windows? - Windows 10 Forums
This year, I have used Linux instead of Windows 10, which will only be used in VirtualBox occasionally.
So far, Linux has never crashed my PC, while Windows 10 sometimes does in VirtualBox.
I suspect my motherboard, GIGABYTE GA-H81M-DS2, is not fully compatible with Windows 10. I want to disable some (or most) Windows services/scheduled tasks as a test and see whether the problem can be fixed. Assuming I use Windows 10 only for my Canon scanner and PenPower writing pad, what services/tasks can be disabled?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
I'd wonder if the support of DirectX11 rather than the later DirectX12 might somehow be involved.

Reaction score
The page quoted does mention DX11, believe it's in the second paragraph:
"Next Gen Intel® 8 Series Platform
The latest Intel 8 Series platform offers significant improvements in performance and power consumption with the latest 4th generation Intel® Core™ processors and Intel® H81 chipsets. As well as a boost in overall productivity, the latest HD4600 Intel® processor graphics provide significantly higher frame rates in the latest DX11 3D game titles. "

That's a hardware issue and may be overcomeable by using an Add-in PCIe X16 graphics card that supports DX12. But then a check with GigaByte may list a new BIOS that provides that support, only they can tell that. Things that work in Linux shows their programmers do a pretty good job, I like the LTS [Long Term Support] into 2023.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
That's a hardware issue and may be overcomeable by using an Add-in PCIe X16 graphics card that supports DX12. But then a check with GigaByte may list a new BIOS that provides that support
There is only one BIOS that applies to my motherboard, GIGABYTE GA-H81M-DS2 (rev. 3.0).
I already wasted money in buying another CPU, which might have overcome the issue but actually did not, so I am not willing to waste money in buying another thing which may or may not overcome the issue. Also, I never play games on Windows 10, and 3D acceleration is disabled (by default) in VirtualBox.

Ask a Question