office or not

Reaction score
hi, every one
this is my first thread so if its in the wrong place feel free to move it, thanks
i recently purchased a new lap top and told by the shop staff i require Office home and student, also, antivirus in this case its Mcafee, The lap top has had several running issues so its been back to the shop for a fix. when i turned on the lap top again i noticed a lot of changes, appearences etc, two of which were that Mcfee was missing and my Office home and student , So. have they been removed for a reason , do i have to reinstall them and do i really need them as windows 10 appears to already have them installed.
im only a casual user of my lap top and certainly no expert with it..

Trucker

Reaction score
Hi Trucker,

firstly, OEM computers come with "Bloatware" which include things like Mcafee, the version of MS Office Home Student is most likely only a trial version anyway which is only good for 60 days!.

You don't need Mcafee as it (my opinion) is overrated and slows your computer down, Windows Defender (built in security for Windows 10) is all you need if you are just a casual user. I would remove it from my PC if it were installed!. ;)

It scores the same results as Windows Defender at the following website and Windows Defender doesn't hardly use any resources and is unobtrusive.

As far as an office app goes, you can download and install LibreOffice which is almost (99%) as good as MS Office.

See also:

I hope that helps you. :)

Reaction score
If this computer place removed McAfee and removed it properly there is a good chance that Defender is now running.
You can check this via Settings -> Update and Security -> Windows Security -> Virus protection and then click on Quick scan.
As for Office home and student I would say that Libre Office is equivalent in every way for 99% of users and it has full compatibility with MS Office should you ever need to send or receive a file from Office

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
i recently purchased a new lap top and told by the shop staff i require Office home and student, also, antivirus in this case its Mcafee,
I agree with what has been said so far.
One further concern that I might have is IF "they" sold software products to you with the associated license fees and perhaps even a charge for installation and then "they" subsequently removed both.... were you reimbursed those fees?

Reaction score
The one real difference between LibreOffice [that I put on all my computers] and Microsoft Office is no comparable program for Outlook but there's some alternatives available.

Reaction score
thanks for your response every one, i paid in full for the software programs which apparently do not require renewing , i wonder why currys sell this stuff knowing that a new laptop with wind0ws 10 already has sufficient security built in , looks like a money spinner for them. i intend to revisit them and question them, dont suppose i will get far though.

Trucker

Reaction score
Your first statement was that your office requires Office? or did you mean the retailer told you this? Defender is quite good I am told. Personally I have always used Norton and continue too as well as Malwarebytes. I am also a business when my computers are under attack quite often

Reaction score
@Clintlgm. The seller did not say that Truckers OFFICE required Office home and student. Just that he, Trucker, would require Office home and student.

@Bighorn Office home and Student does not include an Email client. Never understood why myself!

Ask a Question