SOLVED New Edge problem with my office software word - excel - one note

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
I up graded my edge to new edge about a week ago. Just tried to use my Excel , one note that came with office and word none are working. I went to apps on start button too apps and features did modify quick and internet.
According to web site all are fixed but when I try to use none are working. Is there a setting in New Edge that is blocking them running?

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
posted earlier I can not open any of my office software's this what show on my screen when I do
" windows cannot find (my user) data\appdata\roaming\Microsoft\ internet. Explorer\quicklaunch\user pinned\taskbar\wordink. make sure you typed name correctly ."
I am not typing nothing just using short cut on my task bar.
I have tried clicking on program icon on my start screen program list still does not work

does any one have any ideal fix ?

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
How do I fix , short cuts both start screen and task bar will not open excel - word - one note in my office 2016. When I try from task bar it says it can not find threw Internet Explorer , which was true when I installed programs then. But I am using New edge now.
I have tried too re-install software threw Microsoft subscription web site it says it did, but when I open programs they do not open. Do I need to uninstall programs threw control panel , restart computer then reinstall the software ?

I did notice when I reinstalled software it put the short cuts too my task bar right back like they were , this makes me think a total removal and re-install could be needed. This version was a one time install student if I remove can I still reinstall ?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
For the record, I'm running the "new" chromium based version of Edge along side of Office 365 and there has been no ill effects.

Obviously according to what you've posted your shortcut links are no longer working as they currently exist.

Have you tried launching the executables from their respective program folders
Typically something like C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
Although yours will likely be slightly different as your version is slightly different.

IF that seems to work then you should be able to reconstruct your shortcuts by simply ....
Right clicking the executable, and choosing Sent to -> Desktop (create shortcut)
Test and confirm the new shortcut works reliably and then you should be able to simply right click that shortcut and choose pin to taskbar and or pin to start.

I've merged your threads into one to hopefully prevent scattered replies across multiple threads and subsequent confusion.

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
I have noticed when I go to secured sites they do not recognized my computer I have had to verify I am who I am
I just tried that you suggested, explorer says it can not find excel even though its there in start screen list of apps. I did a troubleshooter is says that excel and word are not compatible haven't tried one note that software is a Win10 standard plus it comes with Office2016. These programs worked fine until I up graded too New Edge. Only thing I have not tried is uninstalling Office 2016 , seeing it is a one time install and other sites do not recognized my computer use New edge I my not be able to reinstall it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
windows cannot find (my user) data\appdata\roaming\Microsoft\ internet. Explorer\quicklaunch\user pinned\taskbar\wordink.
Not sure if that extra dot after "internet" is a TYPO on your part, but....
I do not believe that, the actual path statement should have that "dot" there

Interestingly the other member who is experiencing a similar issue also had an error in the path statement.

Just hold the Windows Logo key and strike the R key on your keyboard
type
winword
into the run dialog box and hit enter or click OK.
What happens?

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
I tried twice got this error notice
windows cannot find C:\ProgramFiles\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\WINWORD>EXE. make sure you typed name correctly then try again

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you browsed that path to determine if it contains the executable?
That would likely be the correct path for a 64 bit installation, however....
IF you installed the 32 bit version, Program Files would be replaced with Program Files (x86)

Just me wondering about your installed version.

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
I do not know how to do that, my system is 64 bit as far as I know. I know that the original error said Internet Explorer was what is was looking for
Windows cannot find C:\user\my name\App Data\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\users pinned\Task bar \Word ink.
since this I removed the link (icon ) on my task bar on all programs thinking that was the issue.

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
just looked at my program files x86 Internet Explorer is in the tree was accessed last night when I tried to reinstall Office 2016 . Default apps says New explorer is my default browser nothing about Internet explorer

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
First of all, "Internet Explorer" is installed, both bit versions when Windows 10 is installed so it should be present in both Programs Files as well as Program Files (x86) and is still available if you so choose, to select as your default browser.
Additionally, I believe that you can use the Programs and Features applet in the control panel to uninstall the new Edge install, IF you're convinced that it is at the root of your problem.

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
I like New Edge really would like to keep it . I hope you can figure out why the office software is not running. Everything else is only difference I have found out is when I log back into different sites do not know who I am , want me to verify I am me. Why doesn't office have a verification tool.
Only thing that has change from when I could use the Office software and when I could not is one Win10 up date I restored to time before , check software it still do not run , re updated win10. So that brings me back to the New Edge , is there some setting in New Edge blocking the office Software? Could some one see ? Can I remove Office software then re install please keep in mind this software is supposed to be a one time install.

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
my office programs still not working since up grading edge , I have tried everything every one have suggested. One thing left is uninstall and reinstall software which my not work seeing mine is a one time install 2016 Home and Student program. But there was issues with Quicken that was fixed mine is running fine because I was not updating to internet my accounts could be why. So I am sitting on this for a while to see if Microsoft fixes my programs or New Edge to work with my programs.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
One thing left is uninstall and reinstall software which my not work seeing mine is a one time install 2016 Home and Student program.
No experience personally with anything called "a one time install".
The closest I might have come was my grand daughter who received a copy of Office as a perk for one of her college classes.
We replaced her laptop that she was using and all she had to do was go back to her student account and click the download link to install it on her new replacement laptop.
I assumed at the time that it was part of some Educational deal between the University and Microsoft, but it could have been anything, maybe even some type of Volume License Key, I really never investigated it further.

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
there is such a thing as I said I will wait a while to see if a up date comes. If not I will try to uninstall office and reinstall then see what happens. You would think I should be able to every software some time threw system up dates requires to be reinstalled so why not office. If it can not be then I learned a expensive lesson even Microsoft can not be trusted to think things threw before changing their system.

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
I do not why tried to fix my office 2016 software one more time threw settings I found them and modified them , it said it would repair. I have tried it four times before it did not work. I restarted my computer like I have before. I bought a long time ago AVG PC Tune up I ran it, it found two bad registry and two short cuts I cleaned them off. I clicked my excel, word and one note all worked. I guess do not ask why some thing good happens?

Ask a Question